SYOS

Microphones Mic

Halfers

Finger Flapper
Subscriber
Another issue with the Meteor is that if my headphones are plugged into the mic I can't hear the backing track coming from the iPad. Apparently the headphone socket on the mic is for "monitoring the recorded signal with no latency" whatever that means?
I'm only dropping in with a comment because my mic is sat on the table next to me and I could confirm my memory that the Blue Yeti passes both the Mic Input and other Audio through its own internal headphone socket. Also, if I mute the mic other audio still passes through.

I'd add that this is on a Windows laptop, so not sure if using a Mac would change anything. Hope that's useful info.

DavidUK

Contrary view here says backing track CAN be heard via the Meteor's headphone socket: Review: Samson Meteor Microphone

"This is used for monitoring the output of the Meteor without latency, but you can also listen to your DAW's output via this socket to hear your backing track."

I've emailed Samson for a definitive answer.

Halfers

Finger Flapper
Subscriber
Contrary view here says backing track CAN be heard via the Meteor's headphone socket: Review: Samson Meteor Microphone

"This is used for monitoring the output of the Meteor without latency, but you can also listen to your DAW's output via this socket to hear your backing track."

I've emailed Samson for a definitive answer.
I seem to remember I had to reconfigure Reaper to output the Audio through the Yeti, rather than the laptop speakers. It might be a case of having to do the same with your DAW.

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
If you plug a USB microphone into GarageBand, it will usually automatically reconfigure itself to play the output via the mic. This can be confusing if, like me, you are using headphones connected to the laptop.

DavidUK

If you plug a USB microphone into GarageBand, it will usually automatically reconfigure itself to play the output via the mic. This can be confusing if, like me, you are using headphones connected to the laptop.
You mean the mic headphone socket outputs the backing track to my headphone and takes priority over the monitoring of the mic's input from my sax playing?

I've spent hours today trying to discover whether the Yeti Nano's headphone socket would give me a backing track from Garageband on iPad to my headphones. All the reviews and blurb tell me I can monitor the input into the mic (why would I want to?) but none, not a single one, tells me if I'll be able to hear the backing track from Garageband via the mic's headphone socket to my headphones/ears whilst recording my sax track into Garageband.

Previously I've plugged my headphones into the iPad 3.5mm socket and away I go. I hear the backing track and record using the iPad's internal mic. Easy.

But as with the Samson Meteor nothing tells me if I still need to plug headphones into the iPad or if I can plug them into the mic in order to hear backing tracks. In any case, what's the advantage, if any, of plugging into the mic rather than the iPad?

Feeling stupid and tired. Such a simple question but no answers, anywhere.

nigeld

Subscriber
In the bad old days, the process of performing A/D conversion from the mic, then getting the signal into the PC, recording, doing D/A conversion, and sending the signal back to the player could introduce an audible delay, so that what you heard in your headphones lagged behind what you were playing. (However, my experience with GarageBand is that there is no audible delay.)

As a result, many USB microphones have a headphone socket that feeds the analogue microphone signal right back to the headphones without any delay. The good ones will mix this with the signal from the computer, so that you can hear both the backing track and yourself. There should be a mixing volume knob to determine how loud the two signals are in the headphones. (This is different from the volume knob that determines how loud a signal the microphone sends to the computer.)

If your USB microphone does this, then you don't want GarageBand to send the recorded monitor signal back to you as well.

DavidUK

I don't want the recorded signal back to my headphones, I just want the backing track from Garageband. If I have to have my playing too that's OK. But I'm struggling to find if any cheap USB mic will let me hear the backing track when my headphones are plugged into it.

I read the Snowball definitely doesn't; The Meteor does/doesn't; The Yeti seems to; The AT2020USB+ definitely does, with a dial to mix between iPad output and what's going into the mic.

Maybe they ALL do allow me to hear the backing track, and that's why there's little info on this. Like all TVs have a picture.

nigeld

Subscriber
If all you want is the backing track from GarageBand, then plug your headphones into the computer instead of the microphone. That's what I do. But I use open-back headphones, so I can hear myself easily. If you have closed-back headphones then you may need to get the microphone signal as well, but you can get that from GarageBand.

nigeld

Subscriber
If you get a mic with an XLR socket then you will also need a digitiser box in order to connect it to the computer.
FocusRite Scarlett 2i2 is a common choice.

DavidUK

I was looking at dynamic and ribbon last night, but nowhere can I find info on connecting to my Mac or iPad. I know I'd need a pre-amp. Just seems a faff compared to USB condenser but those allegedly don't work well in a home set up as they pick up more background noise. @Pete Thomas - you said you use a Blue Yeti but I'm guessing this is in a controlled studio environment?

Apart from my foray into dynamic/ribbon, if I stick with USB condenser I've narrowed the choice to:
Blue Yeti £120
Blue Yeti nano £83
Audio-Technica AT2020USB+ £120
Samson Meteor £60
Apogee Mic+ (if I can find one cheap!) just because @nigeld has one - so it must be good.

FWIW I recently bought a AT2020USB+ along with a camera connection cable for my ipad / iphone. Sounds good to me, works well on iPhone and iPad and my Mac.

As you say has a mix control, so I can monitor both my playing and the output from GarageBand on my phone, or Logic on my Mac.

DavidUK

If you get a mic with an XLR socket then you will also need a digitiser box in order to connect it to the computer.
FocusRite Scarlett 2i2 is a common choice.
I was looking at a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 Gen1 to use with a T-Bone RB500, around £150 for the two.
Reading more and more it seems most condenser mics pick up more background noise than dynamic or ribbon. But I don't know what I'm doing, and all those knobs and cables might worry me! I'd rather stay with a USB mic but that means condenser.

I'm concerned that my half a bedroom "studio" (floor space) is subject to household noises (cats, dogs, wife, builders next door) and I'd prefer background noises not to be a feature of my playing. Some accuse me of having a cat down the horn anyhow.

DavidUK

@sunsetandlabrea - what others did you consider and/or try? And what's your recording space like? Is it dedicated studio space or just a room in your house.

Just trying to assess how big a deal the background noise thing is? I noticed @MandyH uses a Blue Snowball - Mandy if you're around, the same questions to you if you can add anything for the cheap and simple Snowball option?

nigeld

Subscriber
I've only used condenser microphones, and I haven't noticed a problem with background noise except when I once tried to record the big band in a cafe - what I got was mostly conversations from the closest table. But looking at it another way, the big band was the background noise in that case.

The saxophone is a pretty loud instrument.

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Café Supporter
I was looking at dynamic and ribbon last night, but nowhere can I find info on connecting to my Mac or iPad. I know I'd need a pre-amp.
You'd need an analogue to digital interface such as the Focusrite Scarlett. They include a preamp. A preamp by itself just amplifies the mic's analogue signal to a line level signal - it staill can't get into an ipad as it needs to be already converted to digital
Just seems a faff compared to USB condenser but those allegedly don't work well in a home set up as they pick up more background noise
Background noise is based on the polar pattern, not the fact that a mic is condenser. Figure of 8 and omni would pick up more background than cardioid on any mic. Theoretically. But that can be compensated for to a large extent by putting closer to the source.
@Pete Thomas - you said you use a Blue Yeti but I'm guessing this is in a controlled studio environment?
Yes, in a treated room and have also used for recording a choir in a church. The Yeti has switchable polar patterns - omni, cardioid, figure of 8 and also has a stereo capability.

@sunsetandlabrea - what others did you consider and/or try? And what's your recording space like? Is it dedicated studio space or just a room in your house.
It's just a small room in my house, which I use to practice. Not ideal for recording at all, wooden floors, bare walls. I need to improve that.

I considered similar ones to you, the Blue Yeti not the snowball, the Apogee One, which has a built in audio interface too.

DavidUK

@Pete Thomas - I've been looking at the Yeti Nano as it's £83 new but only has omni & cardioid. Stereo seems superfluous. Seems to perform in cardioid as well as its big brother Yeti in tests I've looked at.

The Meteor has a large 25mm diaphragm which may not be so good for sax - can't recall why!

Like the 2020's headphone mix knob. The Mic+ also has a button which does the same.

BTW, to "treat" a room, do I take it champagne and stroke the walls?

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom