support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Microphones Mic positioning for saxes

The "cheap" Sennheiser 421 microphone in the second video costs a mere £340. No wonder the others sounded better.

I think there is a mistake in the methodology of the second video, they should have recorded the same phrase with each microphone.

What that engineer didn't take into account was the best position for each mic. I would have had the Sennheiser a little further away than the others.

What that engineer didn't take into account was the best position for each mic. I would have had the Sennheiser a little further away than the others.
Is that because of experience with recording with this mic or because of the known characteristics of the mic?

Is that because of experience with recording with this mic or because of the known characteristics of the mic?
A bit of both. The sennheiser had a nasty boxy sound which I think isn’t typical of what that mic is capable of. As a cardioid it would normally be better further away than the figure of 8 ribbon.

Having said that the Neumann is also cardioid but in this case it certainly sounded ok as close as that.

I also found it odd they mentioned the Sennheiser was a common mic for saxophones, it is but more for PA use rather than recording.