PPT mouthpieces

Microphones Mic noise recording using Audacity

jbtsax

in memoriam 1947 - 2023
Café Supporter
Locality
Beautiful Springville, Utah USA
I thought that I had this handled the last few recordings I made, but it has popped up again. Simply put, when I record without playing (or playing), the playback has a high pitched hiss that is quite prominent.

I am using a Shure57 mic connected to a Shure X2U USB adapter that goes right into the computer. In Audacity I have selected the Shure Digital microphone and the Sound Blaster speakers since I have a Sound Blaster sound card. I have tried different volume settings and nothing makes much of a difference.

I know how to sample the hiss and remove it after the fact, but I would prefer to control it up front if possible. If anyone with more experience can help, I would appreciate it.

Are you recording so quietly that you have to turn the channel right up to hear the sax? If so, then it's background noise - you need to play louder, play closer to the mic and be more careful with your levels. I've used an SM58 up to now and I have to get the mic within 6" of the bell otherwise there simply isn't enough volume.

If not, it could also be interference. Make sure there's nothing near your mic and cables.

I'm assuming you can actually see the noise on the channel's level meter and use a noisegate to remove it?

Culprit could be the USB adapter.
Does it go sometimes when you restart the whole system?

Culprit could be the USB adapter.
Does it go sometimes when you restart the whole system?
I bow to your genius sir. I rebooted the computer and the static is virtually gone. Thank you for the tip.

USB static ... never heard of that before.
It sounds like a static signal, but it is just some noise generated by the converter. I have an M-audio FW that does the same, sometimes.

Having the entire world's knowledge at your fingertips is a wonderful thing.

It would seem that this isn't an uncommon problem, with the most common cause apparently being the USB cable. According to the articles I've read, not all USB cables are created equal, with many not even coming close to the industry standards for this type of cable. Worn, damaged or dirty USB ports can cause this problem, too.

It would also appear that laptops running off the battery rather than on mains power are more likely to suffer, too.

Of course in my case the problem arised on a desktop with a firewire connection. :)

Audio and computers is often a voodoo discipline. That is why my desktop is never allowed to go on the internet or get unnecessary updates.

Plus companies want us to change gear, so compatibility issues are round the corner.

When I used to video edit, Firewire cables were one of the banes of my life.

And the myriad video codecs, obviously. And 19 hour+ renders that would crash in the last 30 minutes!

In fact, I don't know why I bothered, it was hell. ;)

I thought that I had this handled the last few recordings I made, but it has popped up again. Simply put, when I record without playing (or playing), the playback has a high pitched hiss that is quite prominent.

I am using a Shure57 mic connected to a Shure X2U USB adapter that goes right into the computer. In Audacity I have selected the Shure Digital microphone and the Sound Blaster speakers since I have a Sound Blaster sound card. I have tried different volume settings and nothing makes much of a difference.

I know how to sample the hiss and remove it after the fact, but I would prefer to control it up front if possible. If anyone with more experience can help, I would appreciate it.
Good morning

I think you need to use an XLR cable from the mic and send it through a decent mixer and then into Audacity that should do it My Friend

Alto make brilliant high quality mixers and you can buy them from Maplins

Computers can be acoustically noisy sometimes. My old laptop has a really high pitched whistle that would have to be notched out if I ever wanted to use it for recording.

Apple Mac desktops seem to be very quiet. Probably all desktops are easier to have good chassis grounds for mics.