SYOS

Mexican food -- tacos

As a food lover (food snob my wife says), the one thing I miss about LA is good Mexican food. It's still a little cold for spicy food but here's a couple of things that you can't get on this side of the pond.

1)Tacos al Pastor -- first of all, these bear no resemblance to the tacos you get at Chiquita or most of the meican chains even in the states. Traditional tacos are wrapped in a small soft corn tortilla or two. Flour tortillas absolutely don't work, not even close.

I just found someplace that sells tortillas here online -- www.mexgrocer.co.uk. Definitely going to give them a try. Failing that, get some masa harina from them (you'll probably need to go to them for the right chiles as well) and follow the recipe on the side of the bag for your own tortillas.

Anyway, typical thing is to take a tortilla or two, put in a large spoonfull of grilled meat (seasoned somehow and chopped to bits), along with diced onion and cilantro (coriander), a lime wedge, and maybe some hot sauce or pico de gallo. The best meat by far is pork al pastor.

Take a few pounds of pork, loin or leg and slice very thin. Marinate in about 300ml or so of vinegar for a couple of hours. In the meantime:

5 dried passilla chiles
5 dried guajilla chiles
2 dried ancho chiles

boil these in some water until soft, then drain, remove the seeds and veins. put the chiles in the blender and add:

1 onions
half a head of garlic
1 tomato (seeded & peeled, nicer if roasted first)
~250ml pineapple juice
1 tbsp cumin
~5 cloves
salt to taste

blend, then remove it to a pan and simmer for 5-10 minutes.
drain the pork, them marinate it in the marinade for at least a good half hour.

Now typically, this is stacked on a spit and roasted on an upright rotisserie like a kebab. I just sautee it in a pan until it starts to burn. serve with onion and cilantro, a slice of lime, and maybe some diced pineapple or mango.

These are seriously the best thing ever in summer. best thing is to make too much marinade and keep it in the fridge for later.

OK, this got sor of long, i'll add the condiments in another post.

Top Bottom