All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
PPT Mouthpieces

Accessories Metronome

Lewis.S

Hi everyone,

Does anybody have any ideas for a good metronome with a loud click? I currently use a digital one, but the beep isn't too great! Also, if a mechanical one is best, are they are all reasonably expensive? or are there any cheaper ones.

Thanks in advance,
Lewis

B'dragon

I down loaded an app called (I think) wierd metronome. I run it on my laptop connected to a pair of speakers. Now I can blast the metronome away! Too many years in load bands! I like the fact I can set it for 4, 3 or 2 beats per measure or customize the beats to almost any thing I could want. Very nice little app!

Targa

Among the pigeons
Café Supporter
I used to have an antique Maelzel which had a very loud click and bell.
Bought it on ebay for £27 and then sold it 6 months later for £55.

jthole

I used to have an antique Maelzel which had a very loud click and bell.
Bought it on ebay for £27 and then sold it 6 months later for £55.

I still use the metronome that I got as a kid; a mechanical Wittner Taktell. It's loud enough, and I think the sound is much more pleasing than the lifeless clicks of modern electronic metronomes.

Of course the precision of modern metronomes is a bit better.

Chris98

I still use the metronome that I got as a kid; a mechanical Wittner Taktell. It's loud enough, and I think the sound is much more pleasing than the lifeless clicks of modern electronic metronomes.

I wholeheartedly agree, my mechanical metronome keeps impeccable timing, except when I come up to a hard passage, at which point it throws a wobbly and speeds up!

I should point out that I experience similar things with iTunes when playing along to backing tracks, it must be these aging G5 processors I'm running ;}

Fraser Jarvis

I have used a Korg (cant remember the model number) combination metronome and tuner, but due to my deafness find it hard to hear the clicks, what i do now is use one of the online metronomes from bestmetronome.com i fire it through my 30watt Roland cube so the clicks would probably blow you away if you have normal hearing!! very good visual aid as well!!

Last edited by a moderator:

picconose

As with clocks and watches, the cheapest electronic metronome will keep better time than the most expensive mechanical one. But I must admit, being a clock repairman by trade, I have a soft spot in my heart for the older mechanical metronomes. I use a 1920's Seth Thomas, with a piezo mike pickup run through a Peavey 600 and a pair of Peavey Black Widow speakers. With that rig, I could blow the windows outof my house, if I chose to really crank up the gain. Certainly there is no problem hearing the clicks over anything I can play on an unamplified wind instrument. :)

Hey I use a Wittner Super Mini Taktell, never needs a replacement battery and is so easy to adjust the tempo , simples !

Flipp

saxomophone

+1 for clockwork. Theyre nice objects and the movement of the stick gives a visual cue for time as well as the very pleasing analog click. I have a taktell cost about 30quid I think. Dropped it a few times but it still seems happy.

You probably know this already but I would recommend using a metronome on beats 2 and 4 only - not every beat. Takes a bit of getting used to but much more valuable practice-wise.

TomMapfumo

The Denis Wick 3 in 1 Tuner/Metronome/Tone Generator is excellent at about £16 or so - designed by a musician for use in actual musical situations as well as practice/rehearsals etc. The Metronome produces a clear beat, with additional pulse per bar, and also has flashing lights so you can practice without extra sound. The tuner will readily transpose to whatever instrument you are playing - Bb, Eb, C, F etc. and is accurate to 100th of a semi-tone. I've used one for five years. Worth a Look. I have a mechanical metronome - Wittner which is a lovely piano black, which sits on our piano black piano & never gets used.

Good luck
Tom

Young Col

Now Tom and OG being Welsh, they will both understand if I ask if it is a slow,black, crow-black piano.

I have an old Wittner Taktel junior mechanical metronome, which is perfectly good for practising to.
YC

Young Col

"It is spring, moonless night in the small town, starless and bible black, the cobblestreets silent and hunched, courters' - and - rabbits' wood limping invisible down to the sloeblack, slow, black, crowblack fishingboat-bobbing sea".

Nothing to do with metronomes but a lot to do with Stan Tracey and a great British tenor sax player.
YC

TomMapfumo

I did see said piece at the Brecon Jazz Festival in 2006 - performed by Stan Tracey narrated by Philip Madoc. We live approx 400 yds from Dylan's Birthplace in Swansea, which is now available for short term lets!

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom