All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

M/Pieces - Ligs metalite tenor mouthpiece

I promised TomMapfumo that i would post my thoughts after i had given this mouthpiece(9m tenor) a bit of a workout, so here goes, firstly, let me explain that my reason for trying this particular "piece" was that i had a couple of important gigs and my usual mouthpiece (Claude Lakey 7*3)was just a little out gunned, so having heard a lot of reports about Metalites i decided to give it a try.
firstly it is,free blowing, my immediate reaction was one of slight disappointment because whilst it played easily enough, it didn't scream the way i thought it would.
but when i checked the reed i found that i had inadvertently put on a number 3 rico instead of the softer reed that Rico recommend, this made all the difference, it came alive, i was really very impressed by not only the extra volume but also the fact that it added definition to the core sound from top to bottom, very often with metal mouthpieces you gain on brightness but lose when you go for low notes,but i was able to subtone in glorious Technicolor!
as an experiment i tried used both the Lakey and the Metalite on a dep gig with a local blues band on the first set the Lakey did work fine, but when i swopped for the second set, at the same settings on the p.a., the Metalite was just so much easier to play,it cut through without any extra work on my part infact i have found that you actually need to "back off" a bit and let the mouthpiece do the work.
which again cannot be said for all metal pieces.
in conclusion, this mouthpiece is worth every penny i paid for it and more,would it stop me from buying or using another metal mouthpiece? no!
but it is a good, inexpensive "tool" and for someone who wants to try a mouthpiece with more punch without the expense of going "high end" this is a great option.

Last edited by a moderator:

allansto

I tried using a metalite m5 on saturday and I found it LOUD,REAL LOUD.
I didnt like it myself but then I m a relative begginner and I dont think my umbouchure is developed enough yet to
be able to use it well.
Sure was punchy though I`ll give you that.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
I tried using a metalite m5 on saturday and I found it LOUD,REAL LOUD.
I didnt like it myself but then I m a relative begginner and I dont think my umbouchure is developed enough yet to
be able to use it well.
Sure was punchy though I`ll give you that.
As said above, with the right reed, you'll get the control you want.

I've got an M7 for tenor. It's pretty good, and great for the price. Especially if you like something RAW. But not as good as my PPT which will also roar, but handles the subtle stuff a lot better......

I haven't had the pleasure of trying out a PPT mouthpiece so i cant make a comparison but, what i will say is i had no trouble getting the " subtle stuff" out of the Metalite.
i was able to play everything from screaming rock to whispered subtones without any problems,
apart from the rock gigs i tried it out on a jazz gig and found it was equally at home playing the lighter, "cool" Getzy things
my only question now is, if the m9 is this good, what was the m11 like?

there was when these mouthpieces were originally on sale, but when Rico decided to start producing them again, for some reason they decided not to reissue the M11 and even the M9 is only available in tenor and bari pieces

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom