support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Mouthpieces Metal v Hard Rubber quiz

No I didn't hear a difference between materials

Where there was a difference in paired recordings I guessed metal half the time

I hear a difference between the two sounclips.

But here is the thing....looking at those 2 mouthpieces....besides the material difference....are the SPECS exactly identical ? Visually they appear not to be, but I dunno.

In this case by specs I would mean shank length, interior shank diameter, chamber size and shape, table length, rail and tip specs, baffle specs.

Because, as dear Mrs. Meltz taught us in HS science classes...if one wants to make a determination as to the effect in the change of a single element...all other variables must be held constant ('the scientific method').

So we know the material is different. But is absolutely everything else which would effect mouthpiece performance...exactly the same besides the material ?

If it is not...then one cannot really use this as some sort of test vis a vis "does material effect sound ?"

It’s soooo hard because there is an imperfect tho very skilled sonic initiator. The fact that the mpce exterior dimensions are a little different may have an impact.

Round and round and round we go etc.

I can"t really hear a difference, but who am I but a lazy amateur. The only two mouthpieces I have in both metal and Onyxite are PPT 7* tenor. They feel slightly different, but I'm not convinced they really sound different. All I can say is that I love them both even if I don't deserve them yet. But coupled with a Légère Signature 2.0 I'm getting closer and I'm certainly enjoying them more.

I thought I could hear a difference in some clips, but not in others.

But no two mouthpieces are identical, so of course there will be a difference between them, even if they are very close.

Just to be transparent, I recorded the clips talked about above and when I took the pool guessing which was which I think I got 50% of them wrong. So although I swear I could hear the difference while playing them, I couldn't really tell the difference when listening.........

I just posted a review where I had a huge revelation as far as mouthpiece patches go. I wonder if the difference I heard while playing were due to the vibrations or sound traveling through the material and bones more than what I was hearing??

That's pretty remarkable!

I hadn't thought about it, but I would have assumed that the mouthpiece patch makes a small difference to the player's perception of a mouthpiece. Finding out that the patch can change the player's perception from a "good" piece into a "horrible" one is very surprising.

Of course @Neffmusic you will realise that this means you now have to repeat every one of your mouthpiece reviews again with and without a patch. >:)

That's pretty remarkable!

I hadn't thought about it, but I would have assumed that the mouthpiece patch makes a small difference to the player's perception of a mouthpiece. Finding out that the patch can change the player's perception from a "good" piece into a "horrible" one is very surprising.

Of course @Neffmusic you will realise that this means you now have to repeat every one of your mouthpiece reviews again with and without a patch. >:)
Haha! Actually, a year or two ago I tried a different neck on my SBA that I was curious about. It changed the sound and resistance enough that although I really liked it, it would have changed how every mouthpiece I owned responded and sounded. That thought overwhelmed me and I sent it back.

I'm going through that now with reeds also. In the past I only used one reed for my reviews. Rigotti Gold. Life was simple! Now I have on my desk:

Rigotti Gold
BSS
Luipfaro Evo
AW
Robertos
Woodstone

I'm overwhelmed again............

Back
Top Bottom