All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

M/Pieces - Ligs Metal PPT

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Supporter
As hinted previously I am currently working on a new metal PPT, and have started making some recordings and I found it interesting to pt this side by side with an Onyxtite PPT. The internal dimensions are basically the same so theoretically they should sound the same. Unless the material has an effect on the sound which, as we all know, it doesn't.

Or does it?

Soundfiles:

http://tamingthesaxophone.com/saxophone-mouthpiece-ppt.html

Two Voices

Hi Pete,

I'm very interested in this mouthpiece as I prefer the size of a metal tenor in my mouth apposed to the ebonite cousin.

Question: Is the bore size that slips onto the cork 21/32" (16.67mm)?

The lower register on the metal piece seem big and warm compared to the Onyxtite. Even the upper register seems to have more fluidity and sings. Is there any chance of a sound clip without backing? Just running a scale melodically perhaps.

TomMapfumo

Hi Pete!

From my perspective it was just too close to call - at times the metal had a slightly cleaner sound in the upper register, but I would not be able to tell if I was listening blind, I'm sure. Are you going to next produce a Sanbornesque Alto piece to complete the set...?

Any price yet for the Metal?
Kind regards
Tom

andyb1970

I want one, don't care it if sounds the same or not LOL. Will a 7* Onyxtite play exactly the same as the metal, i.e. as easy to blow etc?

TomMapfumo

Will Pete soon be known as the GAS Man................................:shocked::w00t:;}

I want a Silver metal Alto now!

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Wierd, the metal sounded warmer and more mellow to me, until it got pushed.....

Taz

Busking Oracle
I couldn't tell the difference to be honest! Both sounded great, but then it has got Pete attached to one end, maybe that's it. I don't need a PPT, I just need a PT! :)))

Morgan Fry

Very similar indeed, Pete.

Question: Is the bore size that slips onto the cork 21/32" (16.67mm)?
It is -- I only have one drill! ;p

I want one, don't care it if sounds the same or not LOL. Will a 7* Onyxtite play exactly t
he same as the metal, i.e. as easy to blow etc?
Can't say it's exactly the same, but it is similarly free-blowing, and responds and articulates properly (i.e., clean and fast).

Rogerb

Just shows we hear/perceive differently ....I very slightly, but definitely, preferred the sound of the Onyxite. I thought the metal was just a tad less smooth and warm throughout.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gallen

Metal sounded deeper in the lower register, though seems to be more edgy at the top end. Want: alto version!

thomsax

Looks like a Rovner (out of production) mpc to me!!! Or very close. But the chamber is differnt.

I think the metal has more power compared to Onyxíte.

Thomas

Saxholder Pro

Members online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom