SYOS

metal mouthpieces

mallyjames

hi all;happy new website.i have been using a selmer c 80* ebonite mpc for some time now.i managed to get from e bay a metal one with an 8 lay.i know it,s a bit of a big leap but i find i can play it fairly easily with a rico 3 reed.what do you think about using a metal mpc with an alto sax.i really like the brightish tone it has.what are the plusses and minusses of using a metal mcp apart from it looking good.the mpc was only £20 due to some small scratches on the underside.it was brand new and looks very much like a selmer classic;very similar lig as well.got it from usa.any comments?

griff136

a picture would be nice but if you like the way it plays for you then great. BTW Andy Sheppard plays on a no name brazillian metal mouthpiece that he had refaced by ted klum.

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Café Supporter
I used to use a Lawton metal mouthpiece, but it was not bright. You can't really generalise about metal mouthpieces as they are all so different. The metal itself doesn't impart any particular tone characteristic.

OP
mallyjames

mallyjames

hi griff;i have looked on several websites showing metal mpc,s and it really looks like a selmer classic;same three band lig.has a black bite patch incorperated on the topside.my teacher says the same as you;horses for courses.it blows well in all registers.ty for your helpful reply.mally

OP
mallyjames

mallyjames

i suppose pete,that name or cost is not an issue if the saxplayer is very happy with it.bearing in mind that what suits me may not suit other people.

Djangette

Mally you're right and Pete's right, from what little I know ...

... the actual material of the mouthpiece has not much bearing, the lay also, you can tweak that with reed, shave a little if you like

No one can tell you what mp/reed combo is good for you, only yourself - it's worth trying and finding out and selling on if it don't work move on

Richard Perks

Along the same lines as all. I used a Berg Larsen metal mthpce (100/2) since 1959 and it played great (doesn't break when you drop it:sax:) Well as in a previous post eons ago I got an RPC from Ron, yes it took 10mths to get done, and have played it for 3 mths. Picked up the Berg Larsen and it felt horrible..... dead and no quality, using same strength reeds Rico Royal 2/12. Really means nothing than I think you get used to what you are playikng.:confused:

Last edited by a moderator:

TonyMoroney

Hiya,

I was playing an Otto Link HR 5* for that last year or so, and enjoyed it. But when I recently bought a tenor with a not-so-perfect mpc, I decided to buy an Otto STM, and loved it so much I bought an Otto STM to replace the HR.

I couldn't tell you what or how it's different, but I find it easier and more enjoyable to play. I'm very happy on metal.

Just my 2 cents

T.

Top Bottom