All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

Metal Mouthpiece Slippage

buckg

Locality
North Carolina, USA
So I've finally worked up my embochure that I can now get a sound out of my Berg Larsen. But the mouthpiece keeps slipping out of my mouth. It's slicker than my hard rubber pieces. Anybody else have this problem? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Chris

Well Known
Café Supporter
Locality
Manchester,England
A mouthpiece patch. You upper teeth will have something to rest on and not slip.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
Thanks Nick.

Everyone, please stick to serious answers for now, thanks.

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
The mouthpiece coming out of your mouth is more to do with what you're doing than the mouthpiece being slippy. Adjust the sling and crook so that the mouthpiece sits in your mouth ,no hands, and play it there. And stop waving it about. It's music not semaphore.

aaronrod

Keep in mind that they make the patches in different thicknesses - from barely there patches that provide a bit of friction, to relatively thick patches that feel like a neoprene pillow for your top teeth.

They're pretty cheap, so you may want to try a couple of different thicknesses to find the one that works for you.

buckg

Locality
North Carolina, USA
It's the lipstick! I would never have guessed.

I'll try the mp pads and Colin's suggestions for adjustments. Thanks, everyone, for the tips, serious or not.

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
"!KLAXON!" Was mine the only serious post? I need to make a doctors appointment or maybe go see that guy that sits in the carpark all night in the big BMW next to the van.

buckg

Locality
North Carolina, USA
I recommend the guy in the BMW if the doctors there are anything like the general practitioners here. They all seem to be nothing more than licensed pill pushers.

kernewegor

Bon vivant, raconteur and twit
Locality
cocks hill perranporth KERNOW
Gah. Doctors.

Half my friends are doctors, anything from one to three PhDs each - plant biology, linguistics, hydrography, mathematics, law, classics, anthropology, astronomy....

And yet ask them why my leg hurts and they don't have a clue! What's the use, eh?

Colin's idea was on the money.

If I feel I'm not playing right and it is not the reed, the next thing I do is check my harness adjustment... I only lock the crook in position after blowing a few notes to get the right position...and I move my sax around very little... and if the harness isn't adjusted right I find I have to stretch or bend my neck to reach it... which doesn't help tone or anything else... worse with a slippery m.p..

So - all those things.

Last edited:

Jonesy

Old Fart At Play
Locality
Birmingham, UK
A mouthpiece patch. You upper teeth will have something to rest on and not slip.
How do you get the patches to stick tight? Mine work their way to the sides over a short time and the gum never seems to set properly.

Ivan

Undecided
Café Supporter
Locality
Peeblesshire
How do you get the patches to stick tight? Mine work their way to the sides over a short time and the gum never seems to set properly.
You might be unlucky in your make of patch

I get clear ones from Reeds Direct and they stick without movement

aaronrod

Although I haven't had this issue, I know that oil from your fingers can prevent adhesives from forming a bond.

Try using a little bit of rubbing alcohol to clean the top of the mouthpiece before applying the patch. But only use a little, as I'm not sure if it would discolour the mouthpiece.

kernewegor

Bon vivant, raconteur and twit
Locality
cocks hill perranporth KERNOW
Doctors are like GPS systems. They tell you where to go.
That is exactly what a hypochondriac was complaining to me about down at the pub the other night.

She had followed her doctor's advice - to an extent. We were surrounded by daft devils, some of whom were clearly in good spirits.

But seriously: has buckg solved the slipping mouthpiece problem?

ProfJames

Elementary member
Locality
Berkshire, UK
I nipped in to Blockbusters last week and asked for the latest film that has just been released about constipation. He said it wasn't out yet and I said "that's the one". A joke a day keeps the ..........

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Locality
Cheshire UK
I nipped in to Blockbusters last week and asked for the latest film that has just been released about constipation. He said it wasn't out yet and I said "that's the one". A joke a day keeps the ..........

Mods on your back>:)

Jx

Members online

Popular Discussions

London
Paris
New York
Los Angeles
Sydney
Moscow
New Delhi
Top Bottom