All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Memories of Tomorrow for Mr Gary Burton

Jamesmac

Memories of Tomorrow. Written by Keith Jarrett.
This is week 4, audio assignment, for all who care to listen.:) The penultimate week in the Gary Burton Berklee course
And already enough material to last into next year.

PS. See 3rd post

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris

Well Known
Café Supporter
Sounds good Jim. You make all the harmonies nicely. Good ideas. From a sax playing point of view keep an ear open on the tuning. It went out in places on the improv, but not on the head.. Other than that an enjoyable listen..

Chris..

Jamesmac

Sounds good Jim. You make all the harmonies nicely. Good ideas. From a sax playing point of view keep an ear open on the tuning. It went out in places on the improv, but not on the head.. Other than that an enjoyable listen..

Chris..

The tuning sounds fine to me where i wasnt bending the note a bit on pupose

PS.....This is what the tuner reads.Which was filmed only using the sax audio, that was still on the timeline of my music prog. the BT was synchronized and dubbed after in the final audio...................

PS.clip deleted, after 2 days
with 32 views, no replies:)

Chris

Well Known
Café Supporter
Jim calm down fella. No need to get the tuner out.. I still hear it without a tuner to tell me. Sorry I even mentioned it.. I guess we just don't hear the same.

Jamesmac

Jim calm down fella. No need to get the tuner out.. I still hear it without a tuner to tell me. Sorry I even mentioned it.. I guess we just don't hear the same.

Chris, dont actualy know what you are able hear, The tuner was not for your benefit, but to show that the tuning in the impro was well within acceptable perameters for an Alto Sax. and my intention was to play music in this impro, not to sound like an electric piano on a sax.. As an admistrator you must be aware that most members would not feel comfortable getting involved with this thread after your observations. It looks like the 13 members that listened to the tuning clip also prefered not to comment, and im sure they were not concerned about me.
Anyway you will not be making any future comments on my clips, because there wont be any.
Whats that everybody cheering:welldone good then we are all happy:)

Wade Cornell

Knowing Chris, I doubt that he would ever have the intention of criticizing in a way that would be detrimental. We are all (hopefully) learning and have the opportunity through a site like this to be in a safe place in which we can give and receive comments. Those comments may not always be right or correct, but hopefully we can wear them and brush off others misjudgements.

It's human nature to seek acceptance, but this is a place where hopefully well meaning comments can be accepted. I'd prefer to receive honest feedback about how my music sits in others ears (and hopefully grow/learn) rather than meaningless compliments. If you have any intention of playing publicly then having some idea of how you are received/sound is a very desirable thing. The public can be very rough, especially if you play anywhere where alcohol is served.

Being an entertainer puts you in a position where you will be judged by people who feel that they own a piece of you and have the right to criticize. They will have few or no qualms about letting you know when they don't like what you're doing. Music, or any form of public entertainment, is a tough business that demands openness to accepting how others hear what you are offering, and toughness to fend off/ignore unjustified comments. Playing "background" for causal engagements can be equally soul destroying if you haven't got the right attitude. I've done heaps of those "musical wallpaper" jobs where everyone is talking, nobody stops or pays any attention to what you play much less applauds at the end of any tune. Your job is to set the mood for your client. These are the realities of playing music. The joy is in learning (which can be assisted by listening to others comments) and playing to the best of your ability regardless of whether your have an audience that's listening and applauding, or not.

Being in the music and part of it is where it's at. Your personal balance works in wanting to be better, but accepting that you are playing the best you can at any given time. Ego is the killer. As soon as I try to own something that I'm playing (that my ego wants to boast about) it all falls apart. Worse is having an ego trip that blocks us from hearing what's real and considers whatever we do is great. It's a tough balancing act to have just enough ego to stand up in front of people and play, but shut it off so that you can let the music flow through you.

Jamesmac

Just to put the last nail in the coffin of this thread, I have spoken with Chris via PM ( which is where it will stay) and we have both made clear our thoughts re. This thread. No big deal if two people don't have the same concepts. End of story.

Marcello

It's human nature to seek acceptance, but this is a place where hopefully well meaning comments can be accepted. I'd prefer to receive honest feedback about how my music sits in others ears (and hopefully grow/learn) rather than meaningless compliments. If you have any intention of playing publicly then having some idea of how you are received/sound is a very desirable thing.

very well said...! thats my view about this section... to get honest opinion...!

Jamesmac

James...
I am curious about your tune...
Can you post it again so I listen to it...?? ;}

Thanks for your interest Marcello, you know thats a good name for a composer. I would like to spend some time with Candy Dulfer, to talk about Sax, and her set-up:w00t: of course. But that aint gona happen anytime soon. The same goes for this thread.

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom