support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Meet my new friend: name is Martin; 88 years old

saxplorer

Locality
Surrey, UK
Here's an ebay purchase that seems to have worked out all right, and has me smiling... Took delivery on Thursday of this fellow. Martin Handcraft Original Alto: serial number suggests 1926 as a year of manufacture, which makes it a series II if I understand correctly.

More importantly, it plays! Lovely tone, ergos will take a little getting used to, but even after a day or two, the fingers are learning what to do. It feels chunky and comfortably solid. Cosmetics better than you would expect, it being well into its 9th decade, worst ding is visible below, just under the serial number where it looks like the keyguard took a bash.

P8171781.JPG
P8171783.JPG
P8171784.JPG

I might even give "Willow Weep for Me" a go on this one ....

Enjoy your new 'friend', looking forward to 'Willow Weep For me'..:):thumb:

Chris..

Very nice "Martian".
3 years older than my typewriter tenor, and the ergonomics do need a bit of concentration to avoid fouling on the side keys. Did people back then have different shaped hands?

Looks good. Just played one of my 30s altos for the first to in a couple if months. Sound blow me away. Enjoy!

Looks fab

Which somewhat goes against the grain because ordinarily I have an irrational dislike of brass body silver key combo

The dislike for brass horn / silver keys probably comes from prejudice against "student" instruments and fair enough most older ones were of this style (Yams up to & including the 25, Conn Directors, Cortons etc) but Martin did seem to use the combo on higher up horns from a previous discussion ........

Anyway if your fancy martin looks like a Mexiconn , no one will nick it :D

Nice Martin alto. Did you get the original mouthpiece as well?

Has Martin signed in at the Doorbell yet? If he's 88 his eyesight may not be up to much and he may not have noticed it...

Lovely Martin sound. I adore my Typewriter and still have an Imperial as well.

Sounds good. There's something about a vintage horn; nostalgia while we play them, how many notes have been put through them, playing the old tunes.

Sounds good. There's something about a vintage horn; nostalgia while we play them, how many notes have been put through them, playing the old tunes.
I find myself wishing this Martin to "remember" the tunes it's played, so I don't have to. :)

The dislike for brass horn / silver keys probably comes from prejudice against "student" instruments and fair enough most older ones were of this style (Yams up to & including the 25, Conn Directors, Cortons etc) but Martin did seem to use the combo on higher up horns from a previous discussion ........

Anyway if your fancy martin looks like a Mexiconn , no one will nick it :D

I love that silver brass combo, looks way cool! this horn definitely wont sound at all student like. lucky man!

Back
Top Bottom