All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Me an my band

jeremyjuicewah

Well, its me and their band really. I went to play with a band today and we are in training for a gig on April 21, dont know where. It was a horrible experience in some respects but I am very glad I have done it. We were practicing for two hours, four songs, none of which I have ever even heard the name of let alone know the melody of but I dont seem to be as bad as I thought I might be on picking the keys. I made a horrible noise in G minor, then two more in Cminor and I was actually shaking after the first one and if only I was capable I would have been blushing after the next two. Two guitars, bass, keyboards, drums and harmonica. The guitars and vocals were no better than me but the rest were the core and seemed like sound musicians. Saved myself in the final one by remembering what I have been told. Dont be fancy, make it musical, and listen to the bass. Thank heaven it put me in B minor, I do know my way around that one and I did simple improv that fitted well and got a thumbs up. All in all, not too bad, got asked back, will figure out the chords and remember next time not to let a 16 bar blues fool me into playing a 12 bar blues.

Cripes, I only did it! I am so glad I didnt do the jam session first, I would have likely died of shame. Feel I can ease in a bit this way. Watch this space for ever more conceited posts.

Taz

Busking Oracle
Nice one, it's a great feeling playing with others, and regardless of their level of skill, you always feel like a fully fledged rock star!
Well done and can I have your autograph? :)))

What tunes are they?

BUMNOTE

Well done at least you went along and done it,thats the main thing,next time you go you will know what to expect and maybe enjoy it more,so thumbs up from me...nice one.:thumb:Bumnote

jeremyjuicewah

Thanks for your good wishes all but regret that I am not actually speaking to anybody as there were serious deficencies in the dressing room arrangements. Apart from there being no flowers or ice sculptures, there was not no frippin dressing room neither!!

Taz, they ambushed me with Fragile, Blues Why You, Never Make Your Move Too soon and Sensitive Kate. Actually the keys I messed up in were Cm, Gmajor, repeat that and them some redemption in Bm. I have never heard of any of those songs and have no idea who they are by.

Best wishes
Mike

Fraser Jarvis

I have never heard of any of those songs and have no idea who they are by.
Could it be possible they are songs they wrote themselves, as opposed to being a covers band? in which case you cant "cheat" by using you tube to practice from, the best thing would be to record your next session, memorize and work on them for the following week.

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
All I can say is there goes a brave man well done and keep it up wish I had the nerve....John:welldone

Lorraine

Well, its me and their band really. I went to play with a band today and we are in training for a gig on April 21, dont know where. ..., I would have likely died of shame. Feel I can ease in a bit this way. Watch this space for ever more conceited posts.
Cool - well done you :welldone- the thought of playing in front of anyone else terrifies me - I can't even bear to play in front of my own reflection in the window!:shocked:.

I am often down your neck of the woods - so let me know where you're playing and I'll try to make it.

besitos
L

BigMartin

Cool - well done you :welldone- the thought of playing in front of anyone else terrifies me - I can't even bear to play in front of my own reflection in the window!:shocked:.
Playing in front of a mirror can be quite useful. Helps you to notice any problems with posture, neck strap adjustment etc. And seeing how cool you look with the sax can boost your confidence.

Lorraine

Playing in front of a mirror can be quite useful. Helps you to notice any problems with posture, neck strap adjustment etc. And seeing how cool you look with the sax can boost your confidence.
Agreed - it could help with identifying problems, maybe I should look more closely next time.
But I certainly don't look cool! I look more like a child who has been given a grown-up's instrument to play with! I won't part with it tho......

jeremyjuicewah

Found the songs, all except Blues Why You. Sensitive is Sting, explains why I have never heard it, Dont make your move I listened to by BB KIng, and Sensitive Kate I listened to by Santana. To be honest, they made a lot more sense when I listened to them this morning.

I guess if I played in front of a mirror it would up my practice time. I have been known to spend hours wondering at my strange, unnatural beauty.

Lodger

I guess if I played in front of a mirror it would up my practice time. I have been known to spend hours wondering at my strange, unnatural beauty.
I know exactly how you feel, and don't you think that the desire to serenade the vision in the glass would inspire your playing to reach even greater heights of beauty?

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
What, you can't be fat and cool? I look much better with a sax than without one. Somehow, the shine is missing when it's just me.
Thank you! Now I realize I look slimmer when holding my bari! Maybe I should sell my curved soprano.

Saxholder Pro

Members online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom