All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Mccoy Tyner at Barbican- Why did he stop playing? Is it wrong to record on mobiles?

nakedlunch

Hi,

Did anyone attend this gig last night? Half way through Fly With The Wind he stopped the band and seemed to have a go at someone in the audience for something (in a polite way, of course) though I could not understand what he was saying. He was looking towards the direction I was sitting and at first I thought it may have been for someone moving about too much - though I doubt he would have noticed. Having thought about it the only other reason I could think would be he spotted someone filming the show and the light it projected was annoying, or perhaps he simply objected to this out of principle. I did notice someone two places in front of me with their mobile phone out and recording this. Did anyone else attend and hear what he said?

So in relation to this, what are everyone’s thoughts on people who record clips on their phones? Is it always wrong? I must admit, I have done this a couple of times in the past but don't bother anymore as the quality is never that good. Plus I would rather enjoy the show rather than hold a camera/phone out in front of me for 10 minutes or so!
Having said that, if it was not for these people then we would never be able to enjoy artists on YouTube etc. Are there any occasions when it is acceptable to record segments of an act or is it always bad manners?

Your thoughts please..............................................

jonf

Re: Mccoy Tyner at Barbican- Why did he stop playing? Is it wrong to record on mobile

Generally regarded as bootlegging.

An artist puts a load of effort into getting to a performance standard, then has someone else making money out of bootleg copies? I can well understand why musicians get pretty hacked off at someone else taking their performance and making cash out of it. Even YouTube, which doesn't give rise to persoanl profit is a bit morally dubious, as I think it is only fair for the artist him/herself to determine what is released from their performance.

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
Re: Mccoy Tyner at Barbican- Why did he stop playing? Is it wrong to record on mobile

We routinely video the masterclasses we hold in the shop to put on our YuoTube Channel or the website-We always ask the players to 'ok' the clips before putting thme in the public domian. i'd say that about 75% get approved- no one's every really had an issue with the principal but we've had quite a few "I wasn't really on form that night" or "I'm not sure of the ambient mic sound quality" etc.....

saxplorer

I think it's all about the artists' consent. There'd still be plenty of material on youtube and probably of better quality on average. I could do without wasting time on shaky clips with dodgy sound.

Young Col

I don't think it's the right thing to do either without their prior consent. And some people do make money out of YouTube. There's a story in my paper today of how you can become a YouTube partner (at their invitation it seems) if you have a video that gets lots - and lots - of hits and they pay a small fee per thousand hits. The story is about parents who have earned something like £100k from videos of their supposedly cute children, but I guess it could apply to anything if it got enough hits.
YC .

Tenor Viol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Subscriber

From some limited experience of working with pro musicians with my choirs, musicians want and are entitled to, control over how their 'image' is used. This includes photos, videos, sound recordings etc.

Not only that, but you can enter the nightmare world of copyright and performing rights.

I think if they make their living out of it, they're entitled to that control.

AlanU

I think it is up to the musician, he has every right to object, or just ignore/take it as a compliment/shrug and accept it happens.

Years ago someone I know set up a small cassette recorder in his bag with a mic pointing out and placed on the table at a small Jazz gig.
Has anyone else noticed how menacing the Glasgow accent can sound? Jim Mullen leaned across and quietly said 'People dinnae do that where I come from'.
Nuff said.

nakedlunch

I think it is up to the musician, he has every right to object, or just ignore/take it as a compliment/shrug and accept it happens.

Years ago someone I know set up a small cassette recorder in his bag with a mic pointing out and placed on the table at a small Jazz gig.
Has anyone else noticed how menacing the Glasgow accent can sound? Jim Mullen leaned across and quietly said 'People dinnae do that where I come from'.
Nuff said.
I must say, how embarrassing! I think I pretty much agree with all the comments above, though you also have to move with technology and indeed embrace it. Many novelists will publish online their first chapter free of charge, in the hope people will read it and then rush out to buy the book. I am sure clips on youtube have then lead to the purchase of cds/downloads. However, I fully appreciate that a novelist is doing this as a matter of choice; a musician has no control over what he/she is putting out when other people are recording and downloading their material.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber

for me youtube is a great showcase, and we've bought a lot of after seeing/hearing them on youtube. Radio as well.

Saxholder Pro

Staff online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom