All profit supporting   special needs music

May have found a UK engraver...

Pete Thomas

Pete Thomas

Commercial Supporter
Locality
St. Mary's
As a price guide, for £200 he could engrave both sides of the neck and inside the bell rim.

I was much too polite to start mentioning price. >:)

but what I am going to do is to take this opportunity to show off the old Two Voices again.

Here is the bell (engraved on solid silver)

xs-01c-rampone-cazzani-tenor-saxophone.jpg

Which is based on a woodcut by Carlo Casanova: Le Due Voci depicting two church bell towers in Quarna Sotto, the town in Italy where the Rampone & Cazzani saxophone factory is situated.

xs-01g-rampone-cazzani-tenor-saxophone.jpg

K

KatiaF

OOOH!!! So exciting!!
Just spoke to Paul. He is putting aside this bell for me and I will pick it up next week!
So glad I found this forum. You have been all so helpful!

I must say that I have been contacted by a lot of different trades during these past few months. And I am really happy to say that a few of these trades have been linked to the music world. Years ago, I studied the piano with the scope of becoming a professional musician...then I decided to stop it all to become an engraver.( d'ho.)
So engraving for musicians would be such a pleasure!

Katia

PS:

PS: glad to say, I am slowly getting back to playing the piano!

DavidUK

DavidUK

Café Supporter
Locality
Near Lutterworth, Leics.
Pete, I seem to recall the Grassi works was across the street from R&C?
Nice idea for my Grassi bell but of course it would have to be a different scene...
How about the museum of music?: http://www.quarnasotto.com/il_museo.html

:headscratch:

DavidUK

DavidUK

Café Supporter
Locality
Near Lutterworth, Leics.
OOOH!!! So exciting!!
Just spoke to Paul. He is putting aside this bell for me and I will pick it up next week!
So glad I found this forum. You have been all so helpful!

I must say that I have been contacted by a lot of different trades during these past few months. And I am really happy to say that a few of these trades have been linked to the music world. Years ago, I studied the piano with the scope of becoming a professional musician...then I decided to stop it all to become an engraver.( d'ho.)
So engraving for musicians would be such a pleasure!

Katia

PS:

PS: glad to say, I am slowly getting back to playing the piano!

Hey, Katia, how about learning the sax too!!

:w00t:

K

KatiaF

I am "analysing" the picture that Pete posted a few comments above, the one with the Two Voices.
That actually looks like it would be less "challenging" to engrave then the wiggle stuff. Simply because this is made with a lot of straight lines and small curved ones which I could do with my push graver. ( I use this tool a lot nowadays, I am no loger just a hammer and chisel lady.)
Maybe I am being to enthousiastic though, but surely will engrave a scene like this on the bell when I get it, along with the wiggly things! Actually, maybe I will engrave this very scene or a least part of it.

Pete Thomas

Pete Thomas

Commercial Supporter
Locality
St. Mary's
I am "analysing" the picture that Pete posted a few comments above, the one with the Two Voices.
That actually looks like it would be less "challenging" to engrave then the wiggle stuff. Simply because this is made with a lot of straight lines and small curved ones which I could do with my push graver. ( I use this tool a lot nowadays, I am no loger just a hammer and chisel lady.)
Maybe I am being to enthousiastic though, but surely will engrave a scene like this on the bell when I get it, along with the wiggly things! Actually, maybe I will engrave this very scene or a least part of it.

That engraving was done by Claudio Zolla, owner of the the company. How told me that for him the straight cuts are more difficult as it is easy to slip, whereas the zigzag tool is easier to control.

There is a very famous saxophone engraving, the Conn Naked Lady:

Conn-naked-lady-engraving.jpg

Claudio joked that this would be very tricky, one slip and she would have three breasts.

K

KatiaF

Ha!! Looks like the world of engraving saxophone is all topsy turvy. What looks easy is not and vice and versa!
More and more intriguing by the hours!

Pete Thomas

Pete Thomas

Commercial Supporter
Locality
St. Mary's
Looks like you may need to change your website to gunandsaxengraving.co.uk

aldevis

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Locality
London
Since I am about to ship Katia a couple of bits, should we start a new thread with useful information for Katia and the other saxophone engravers that surf the web?
I am thinking of basic stuff about the instrument: finishes, definition of parts (bell, neck octave key), differences between saxophones, do an do not...

I will probably give some indications like "do not squeeze the neck with a vice" or "do not hammer it" but I am sure more suggestions can come from a thread. Maybe the first one where we don't drift excessively off topic.

Pete Thomas

Pete Thomas

Commercial Supporter
Locality
St. Mary's
I will probably give some indications like "do not squeeze the neck with a vice" or "do not hammer it" but I am sure more suggestions can come from a thread. Maybe the first one where we don't drift excessively off topic.

By all means, start a new thread.

K

KatiaF

Looks like you may need to change your website to gunandsaxengraving.co.uk

Yes! Hopefully no one has registered that site yet...

And excellent idea about starting a new thread.

PS: Kev, just taken an appointment with the good Dr. You are right, one should take care not to be on the wrong tablets!

kevgermany

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
PS: Kev, just taken an appointment with the good Dr. You are right, one should take care not to be on the wrong tablets!
:rofl: so glad you have a sense of humour

aldevis

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Locality
London
Help! I have a jewel at home and I cannot take decent pictures of it.
@c9off , where are you?

(Ms Katia just sent me the engraved neck)

aldevis

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Locality
London
Picture is pointless....

DSCN0016

milandro

milandro

Locality
the Netherlands
what kind of camera are you using? It looks very bad indeed.

Anyway.

First, set your subject is a well lit room not too far from a window, DON’T use the flash of the camera.

If possible make sure you subject is on a neutral surface, possibly a white table and put it close to a white wall or something that can reflect light or try to get something that can reflect light like a pice or two of some white polystyrene.

Now set the camera (don’t use a phone) on a tripod.

Try to find the best angle where light is best for your subject ( move the reflection screens around to find the best angle don’t angle them exactly symmetrically ).

Use the Macro position of your camera (normally indicated with some kind of flower, often a tulip on several cameras).

You should get a better result than that.

aldevis

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Locality
London
I'm here.....
Apart from the forthcoming coffee, @KatiaF should post some better pictures soon. She had the good idea of taling them before shipping the neck back to me.

DavidUK

DavidUK

Café Supporter
Locality
Near Lutterworth, Leics.
I spoke to Katia a few weeks back to confirm I am still hanging on to an Alto sax for her to experiment on when ready. Firstly though she needs to pick up the scrap euphorium (or whatever!) bits Paul Carrington, down the road from her, has waiting. She told me she was able to clamp the neck down to work on it as per her usual method, but a sax is a different kettle of (slippery) fish.