All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

May BOTM 'Cry Me a River'

DavidUK

Locality
Near Lutterworth, Leics.
:)

Cry Me a River, written by Arthur Hamilton, was first published in 1953 and made famous with the version by Julie London, as here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXg6UB9Qk0o

There have been other vintage versions Fitzgerald, Streisand and Bassey, and more modern ones by Justin Timberlake, Joe Cocker and Michael Bublé.

Play it smoothly, the London way, or sacrilegiously Jazz it up, whatever you fancy!

Chris has kindly supplied dots and backing track (see link below) and, who knows, if I can get my DIY recording set up sussed I may even embarrass myself with a first recording! :w00t:

Enjoy.
:sax:

The backing track and sheets can be found here "Cry me a River"

Last edited:

Chris

Well Known
Subscriber
Locality
Manchester,England
Great tune to call for the botm thread David, there should be a lot of interest in this one..

Chris..

MLoosemore

Deluded Senior Member...
Locality
Spalding Lincs
Nice one David.... One of my regular practice pieces but now a backing track to try it with :clapping::clapping::clapping: The dots are slightly different in places but variety is the 'spice' as they say.

Guenne

Locality
Austria
Hi,

@Al1 : Wonderful! Good timing, good intonation. It's a shame the backing is so loud, I'd like to hear more of the sax.

Miss London is still in bed, so I had to play the tune alone with the rhyhm section.
I did so using a horn a friend is selling. "Vintage" but from the 1960s.
Almost makes no sense to buy it, needs some repair, inline, less projection than the horns I am used to play.
And then, it has this tone. Mellow, warm. To be honest, it just catches me...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6518653/Cafe%20Saxophone/Cry%20me%20a%20river.mp3

Cheers,
Guenne

Last edited by a moderator:

Matabayahsi

Locality
London, United Kingdom
:)

There have been other vintage versions Fitzgerald, Streisand and Bassey, and more modern ones by Justin Timberlake, Joe Cocker and Michael Bublé.
Just to make it clear justin timberlake-cry me a river is a different song, definitely not the droid we are looking for :D

very cool versions you ve made by the way.
I might join you on this one but first I got to figure out how to read dots and get used to the song before I make anything
I can do it until the key change what key does it go to after that ?

Clivey

Locality
Edinburgh/Hot Rock off African Coast
OP
DavidUK

DavidUK

Locality
Near Lutterworth, Leics.
Well done to those who have posted so far.

And now...

For one night only (quite possibly!)...

What you've all been waiting for, for 2 1/2 years...

DavidUK's very first attempt at recording a track!!!

Go easy!

Here: https://app.box.com/s/oklhlec155y5z07ykcweaqhv7ri5op86

Created with GarageBand app on iPad, iPad internal mic, plus in ear red headphones, free from the Big Red Bus Tour, Rome (that's the expensive bit... getting to Rome!)

o_O

Last edited:

jbtsax

Subscriber
Locality
Beautiful Springville, Utah USA
I have really enjoyed listening to all of the versions I have heard so far. Thanks Saxplorer for posting the Diana Krall recording which is my all time favorite that I have listened to dozens of times. I feel compelled to call attention to Anthony Wilson's guitar solo starting at 2:40 in that video as the perfect example of the old saying, "you don't need to play all the notes you can in a solo---just the right ones". In music oftentimes "less is more" in my opinion.

Rob Pealing

sax in a kayak (apprentice sax tamer)
Subscriber
Locality
Greenfield, Nova Scotia, Canada
DavidUK, I like your version, even my wife likes it & she is a classical music lover. I hope you don't mind I took the liberty of downloading it.
:thumb:

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Locality
Cheshire UK
@DavidUK nice one you have obviously been playing all those horns :)

Hope to hear more now you have sorted out Garageband

Jx

Nick Wyver

noisy
Subscriber
Locality
Minster On Sea
And another "here's one I did earlier".
Apparently about 15 months ago. I have no memory of it. I appear to have been testing mouthpieces but I can't find any notes on it. Typical really. Anyway, I think it's the Sakshama Studio G probably on the Keilwerth SX90R alto.
https://soundcloud.com/nicksax/cry-me-a-river-alto
With a bit of luck I'll get round to doing another.

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
And another "here's one I did earlier".
Apparently about 15 months ago. I have no memory of it. I appear to have been testing mouthpieces but I can't find any notes on it. Typical really. Anyway, I think it's the Sakshama Studio G probably on the Keilwerth SX90R alto.
https://soundcloud.com/nicksax/cry-me-a-river-alto
With a bit of luck I'll get round to doing another.
Nailed it. :cool:

Chris

Well Known
Subscriber
Locality
Manchester,England
that is a very interesting take @jimmylh
Very interesting indeed:w00t:

Some really good versions being posted, @Clivey that reverb was really good, @DavidUK great to hear you got things sorted David, sounding good as well. I guess we can reserve a monthly spot for you from now on. @Colin the Bear I don't know about only Nick nailing it, yours was pretty darn good. @Al1 nice version to kick things off with from you, no need to be shy round here. @Guenne a strange horn yet a strangely familiar sound polished as always. Last but not least @Nick Wyver +1 to what Colin said, looking forward to a new updated version if possible:w00t:

Chris..

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom
test6