support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

May 2019 Sotm Funji Mama

Great take @sax panther coukd tell you we’re enjoying that, i like the bit of St Thomas thrown in
Enjoyed that

I've been practicing this from time to time as it's quite a challenge, a great SOTM choice! It's especially hard to both play in time and "play with the time", as Miles once put it. I've been asked what that means, and I take to mean changing the exact rhythmic placement of notes in the measure, often by playing the same notes behind the beat. This tune is just simple enough and complex enough to have an infinite number of variations of that.

I just calculated that it's been 494 days since I first touched a saxophone to my lips1 . Sixteen months and 9 days, or 1.33 years. Time passes, but not fast enough to get through all the exercises and long tones.

View: https://soundcloud.com/randulo/funji-mama-take-3

1 (Unless you count that brief encounter with the young woman in the woods of Marin County in 1973. That wouldn't be fair though, as I was unable to perform. In all fairness, I did own a bass clarinet for a short time before it was stolen. I could play a few notes in C minor concert.)

I've been practicing this from time to time as it's quite a challenge, a great SOTM choice! It's especially hard to both play in time and "play with the time",
It is a challenging tune, but with the effort the rewards are there to be seen/heard :)
I do like to hear tunes done in ‘your/our way’ putting your little take on it works imho.

As I threatened earlier, here's my soprano version which "features" TVSI1, an innovative new concept! Also, some not so subtle "variations" to the melody (aka, not knowing the melody). This was recorded right after my first alto version, so some of the same concepts (aka mistakes in the melody). Although I hear all these faults, I also hear a few decent ideas, so I hope you'll put up with it.

View: https://soundcloud.com/randulo/funjii-mama-soprano

Truly Variable Soprano Intonation

It’s the end of the month, and the July SOTM is on it’s way, but this thread will remain open, so feel welcome to add more recordings any time.

Many thanks to the contributors and especially to @trimmy for acting as host.

Back
Top Bottom