PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones P. Mauriat 76 Tenor

Saxoholic

Hi all,

I just ordered a P. Mauriat 76 from sax.co.uk today which i am looking forward to getting, i was wondering though if anybody has had any experience with these saxes and what your opinions on them were. Im moving from a Conn 10m to this so im hoping ive made a good move! Any opinions?

Cheers,
Chris

I don't have personal experiance of the 76 but have been playing a 66R for 5 months and absolutely love it. My teacher (Karen Sharp who played with Humphry Littleton) plays a Mk 6 and thought my 66R was really great though she thought it a little heavy and the palm & LH pinkys a stretch in comparison.

Sure you'll enjoy it!

When I tried out saxes a few months ago, I would have walked out of the shop with the Mauriat within 10 minutes, had my budget been up to it. I also moved on from a Conn 10M, and bought a Cannonball instead. I can't say that one is better than the other - I put the Mauriat aside very quickly because if I had carried on playing it, I would have ignored the budget and just gone for it. I just felt instantly at home on it - but I have no regrets about ultimately buying the Cannonball whatsoever!

Its fantastic to hear all thes positive things about them, i think im going to miss my 10M but it was a tad too "cluncky" if you know what i mean. Dooce, im glad you like the cannonball, i have to admit its one i havent tried as of yet. It might be beneficial to start a Mauriat owners thread.......

I used to play a Conn M30 tenor which finally became to unreliable to gig. Working at Sax.co.uk, I went through our stock trying to find a horn that sounded like my old Conn but- well, wouldn't fall appart on me and had better intonation at the top. Finaly 3- Keilwerth SX90, Bronze Yani or Mauriat- after a couple of day's experimenting, bought the Mauriat. have now been gigging it for 3 years and love it, I feel no desire whatsoever to change it as my main gigging horn!

I play a PMXT 66R Mauriat. I bought it last December, i trialled Selmers, Yamahas, Yanagisawas, Cannonballs but like Dooce once i had played my Mauriat i was hooked, luckily i had been saving up so managed to buy it, i do not regret it at all. The Cannonball was a fantastic sax so it was a close call.
I play jazz to funk on the Mauriat and just love it. Sorry no experience of the 76 but hope this helps. Let us know how you get on with it? Good luck Phil

A couple of years ago I decided to treat myself to a new, good quality tenor. At the time I tried a system 76 and was distinctly underwhelmed by it, and settled on a Yanagisawa T992 instead, which I love. However, a few months ago my next door neighbour bought at 76 and I popped round to give it a good blast, and it was great. Tone and finish both seemed way better than the one I first tried. I really enjoyed playing it, and although I still prefer my Yanagisawa, it's a pretty close call.

I have owned 2 Mauriat 66r's and my 66RUL which i have now is the best tenor i have had and i have had many,many tenor's.The 76 i tried was very nice indeed and like they say it's more in that MK6 sound field and very focused but for my taste's i liked the 66R which is more in that Conn sound,i had a Borgani Jubilee Pearl Silver Tenor that is based on the old Conn's and the 66RUL is like that but atad darker with more ball's when needed.Intonation on the Mauriat's is outstanding and you will like your buy.Enjoy.

Its great to hear such good reports about the Mauriat range, i have to admit that at first i was a little sceptical mainly because it was made in Taiwan but my worry is starting to fade. Do any of you have any particular mouthpiece set ups for the Mauriat horns, or are they good for most set ups?

Chris

Its great to hear such good reports about the Mauriat range, i have to admit that at first i was a little sceptical mainly because it was made in Taiwan but my worry is starting to fade. Do any of you have any particular mouthpiece set ups for the Mauriat horns, or are they good for most set ups?

Chris

Chris

I suspect we all use different ones - as always you need to find what suits you and how you want to sound. I tried 'everything' (well nearly!) and settled on a Jody Jazz DV NY 7* with Marca Jazz 3 reeds. It's the only mouthpiece I have for the 66R.

It is what suit's you best,we all have our own conception of what we hear in our head's but i have owned 2 66R'S and i used a JODY JAZZ ESP X,GUARDALA BRECKER 2,BRANCHER JAZZ AND BRANCHER B Chamder mouthpiece's on the Mauriat's and as i have posted before i am in love with my LAW Mp's,they play so well on my 66RUL but the important thing for me is they suit me perfect,the above piece's sounded nice but not as great as my Law's.The old saying,try alot if you can are get a custom handmade Law made to your spec and he send's you the piece to test and if you want it tweaked in any area he work's on it again until your happy with your sound.It save's lot's of hassle in the long haul,i have had load's of stock mp's only to find fault's within a few day's and then your stuck.It's a thought.

mauriat 76

Mauriats are good horns - I have 2 - the 66R and the 66RUL both tenors, love them both now that they are run in and adjusted properly. Don't know anyone with a 76 - it will be interesting to hear how you get on with it.

Back
Top Bottom