All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Saxophones Mauriat PMST 86UL owners...

crocodilian

What are your experiences with this model? I'm looking for a review online but can't find one, just the odd short snippet on other forums. I will "test drive" one at some point, along with a 66 probably.

Also, recently, on visiting a popular saxophone shop I enquired about the 86 and was told that it hasn't sold well because it "isn't very good". Is there any truth to this or is there some ulterior salesman's motive for his complete dismissal of this horn? It seemed a bit strange that he disliked it that much when I have read that it is quite similar to the 66.

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Supporter
What are your experiences with this model? I'm looking for a review online but can't find one, just the odd short snippet on other forums. I will "test drive" one at some point, along with a 66 probably.

Also, recently, on visiting a popular saxophone shop I enquired about the 86 and was told that it hasn't sold well because it "isn't very good". Is there any truth to this or is there some ulterior salesman's motive for his complete dismissal of this horn? It seemed a bit strange that he disliked it that much when I have read that it is quite similar to the 66.
Maybe that salesman didn't like the 66 either.

The 86, like the 66, is a great horn IMO, as far as I can tell it isn't very different to the 66 apart from the material it's made from which I think is some kind of bronze.

Did the shop stock Mauriats? If not then perhaps they were more interested in selling you something else more convenient.

TomMapfumo

Why not email Pete Scaddam at www.studiosaxophones.co.uk who sells Mauriats and does know his stuff. If the main difference, as Pete suggests, is the Bronze finish then it will play identically to the 66, which Andy Sheppard, James Carter and others play.

Or maybe Pete will chip in if he is online sometime - he is a Cafe Sax member and a really nice bloke!

crocodilian

Cheers for the info. The shop did stock Mauriats and the salesman did rate the 66 highly, strange. Anyway, when the time comes to start looking which is exactly the same time as I have some money saved, I'll give studiosaxophones a call.

I've been quite impressed with what I've heard about Mauriats, especially for the price they go for. Can't wait to try some out!

Paul Warner

Nice horns. I`ve never played one that I would dismiss so uncharitably, and I`ve owned three. All the best......Paul;}

BigMartin

It's an unfortunate name. A bit too close to PMSL for my liking. (I have never played, seen or even knowingly heard one, by the way).

muzza

For a good review and comparisons of this horn with other p. Mauriats. Google "roger manins" he has youtube review on 86 and also head to his user page for a number of comparison clips. He recently went to the factory and just plays one after the other.

He also did a good review on another forum, [FONT=&quot]uncertain [/FONT]about posting link, but you should find it by searching "roger manins review 86".

I'm new to forum and do need to ring the doorbell.

jonf

It's an unfortunate name. A bit too close to PMSL for my liking. (I have never played, seen or even knowingly heard one, by the way).
I once had to go on a training course being run by a very serious organisation called PMSL Training Ltd. I P'dMSL, which they did not find at all amusing.

crocodilian

PMST, PMXT...I think it's been said before but these model names/numbers are pretty...well, unpretty! More imagination needed!

I've seen a few of Roger Manins' videos now, they're really good, very informative.

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
I'll concur with the above- I own a 66R and have played an 86UL- very similar bits of kit.....

Saxholder Pro

Members online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom