Saxophones Mauriat 66 RUL - how is yours looking?

half diminished

I know there are several of us with this splendid beast. I just wondered how your 'patina' was developing. I give mine a regular 'clean' with a damp chamois leather and it's starting to colour up nicely. Mine was one of the first with the 'waxed' finish so it's taken a while- I bought it in November 08.

Chris98

I know there are several of us with this splendid beast. I just wondered how your 'patina' was developing. I give mine a regular 'clean' with a damp chamois leather and it's starting to colour up nicely. Mine was one of the first with the 'waxed' finish so it's taken a while- I bought it in November 08.
I must see pictures of this beauty Ian, after all, aren't you something of a photographer?

Does the wax finish wear off?

My Yamaha reputedly has very hard wearing lacquer, so I might be waiting a long time before it looks like it's been everywhere, seen everything and could tell a tale or two.

My 5 minute break is up, lets see if I can get my fingers around that troublesome 67 bars (the piece is only 69 bars long but there is an easy two bar section in the middle where there are no notes!)

Happy blowin'

Chris

OP
half diminished

half diminished

Here ya go!

Not time to do this properly so just a couple of hand-held wide open shots so minimal DOF. Takes ages to set up photographing 'shiny' things due to eliminating odd reflections. Hope this gives a flavour. I underexposed a little and tweaked the contrast to emphasis the patina.

_DSC9913-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Ruby

I was just about to ask a question about these saxes when I spotted your post. Just wondering what they're like to play, anything to look out for etc. I'm thinking about getting one and am trying to find out everything before I go and try one out and part with all that cash. I play in a 50s style rock n roll band so think it will have the sound I'm looking for. Just read a review http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk/Reviews/Saxes/Tenor/mauriat_66r_tenor.htm
and he talks about play in the octave key and the 'pseudo point screws'. Will these thing make a massive difference?

OP
half diminished

half diminished

I think the final comments in the review suggest it's with a look. Personally I love the soundand the build quality is good saving the quality of the octave mechanism. You'll need to get a comment of a tech like grif about the screw though.

I love it and have no regrets from buying it.

griff136

I think the final comments in the review suggest it's with a look. Personally I love the soundand the build quality is good saving the quality of the octave mechanism. You'll need to get a comment of a tech like grif about the screw though.

I love it and have no regrets from buying it.
I agree with Steve re the point screws however, even a horn with proper point screws, the key work can wear and get sloppy. The sax fitted with proper point screws will however be easier for the repairer to rectify and therefore less costly to the customer, but dont let this put you off - if I ever sell my selmer or decide to have another horn I'll be getting the 66RUL.

As for the cases - For the last year or so Mauriat saxophones have been supplied with a protec case.

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Subscriber
I
and he talks about play in the octave key and the 'pseudo point screws'. Will these thing make a massive difference?
Not at all (see what Griff says).

Great great horns IMO. But if I bought one I'd probably get it lacquered.

AlanB

Can you still buy these horns without the factory wax coating. In this picture on sax.co.uk http://www.sax.co.uk/pmauriat/pmauriat_pmxt66rUL.htm there seems to be a raw brass version and a waxed version. It seems the wax can wear off to give that lovely look above. But i like the tarnished raw brass look as well. Any ideas?
Al

OP
half diminished

half diminished

Can you still buy these horns without the factory wax coating. In this picture on sax.co.uk http://www.sax.co.uk/pmauriat/pmauriat_pmxt66rUL.htm there seems to be a raw brass version and a waxed version. It seems the wax can wear off to give that lovely look above. But i like the tarnished raw brass look as well. Any ideas?
Al
Nachoman may know for sure but my understanding is that they come waxed now.

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
I was just about to ask a question about these saxes when I spotted your post. Just wondering what they're like to play, anything to look out for etc. I'm thinking about getting one and am trying to find out everything before I go and try one out and part with all that cash. I play in a 50s style rock n roll band so think it will have the sound I'm looking for. Just read a review http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk/Reviews/Saxes/Tenor/mauriat_66r_tenor.htm
I play 1950s R&B/Rock And Roll... and play a 66R... best modern horn for the job in my opinion.. big, dark toned and sound better and better the more air you put though them...

Pete C

green 66 RUL

I've had my 66RUL for about 8 months from new - basically it's going green! no sign of the promised brown patina - no idea if it was a waxed one or not - Griff you've seen it - was it a waxed one? Fantastic playing horn and now I prefer it to the lacquered version the 66R which I have as a back up horn. IMHO the unlaquered job has a more complex sound.

OP
half diminished

half diminished

I've had my 66RUL for about 8 months from new - basically it's going green! no sign of the promised brown patina - no idea if it was a waxed one or not - Griff you've seen it - was it a waxed one? Fantastic playing horn and now I prefer it to the lacquered version the 66R which I have as a back up horn. IMHO the unlaquered job has a more complex sound.
Pete

Here is the 'waxed' standard factory finish

Here is the RAW brass

And here it is after it has 'gone brown'

Mine doesn't look like any of them! The wax finish on mine is a sort of greener brown than above. Here it is with my R&C though it's alittle less shiny now :)

daveysaxboy

Big ruff Geordie bendy metal blower
Here's mine with a hot fat bloke behind it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pete C

raw

Yes thanks Griff - had just worked out from the photos that mine is raw brass - do you think it's worth cleaning off the green bits or does that just take it back to the original brass and delay it going to the final brown patina? I have a sneaky feeling that it will always just look like a green and brass nasty mess - that's how an old Selmer of mine went after it had lost some of the laquer - I think it's something to do with the high garlic and balsamic vinegar content of my diet!!

daveysaxboy

Big ruff Geordie bendy metal blower
Mine is starting to dull in a soft brown tinge and looking great.I dont like the new wax model's i must say,they went over the top with the old wax i think.I live 5 minutes walk to the beach so mine will tarnish faster due to the salt air i think.The faster the better.

Lupifaro

I sold my last Raw Brass UL Tenor last week and the last Raw Brass UL Alto today,i have the new nut brown waxed 66RUL model in stock plays like a monster but i prefer the original finish.It says on the mauriat web site that they can be polished i may not be able to stop myself !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dave Keighley Help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
birdman
www.studiosaxophones.co.uk

Top Bottom