All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Mature, slow learner - enthusiastic Sax Player needs help!

Avon

Hi All,

I started playing the sax just about the time of my 50th Birthday and love it. I've two horns described below. But I have a problem which I'd be really grateful for some advice on.

When playing the tenor I really struggle to get a clean sound when goind to notes below low D from say A and above. I can get the note nice and cleanly after a short 'wobble/squeak/flutter". I've tried relaxing my emboucher, putting more mouthpiece in my mouth, blowing harder, blowing softer. It seems to work best if I legato from the A to the D or below, but the particular piece I'm working on needs to be tongued. I have no trouble running scales down to bottom Bb so I think its something to do with the transition, but can't work out what. I guess it might simply be practice thats required, if so I'd be grateful for advice on what and how to practice effectively.

Any advice gratefully received.

I love playing the sax - its so rewarding (well for me at least!).

trimmy

One day i will...
Welcome to the cafe Avon :thumb: i saw the title and thought you were talking about me ' Mature, slow learner ' :)))

Chris

Well Known
Subscriber
Welcome from me as well, I don't think you will be on your own as a mature learner.
There are more than one or two around here..

Chris..

breathless

Hi, Im 43 and started playing (or pretending to) 2 weeks ago and am suffering the same problem only it happens to me on most notes! LOL!

back to see the teacher tomorrow!

Lee.

Avon

Many thanks to you all - and the 'Air Support' pages are really helpful - I never knew that holding a piece of paper against a wall by blowing could get such interesting comments!!

'Breathless' you nearly had me worried - I think after 2 weeks I'd only just managed to play a few notes from the middle of the range - and C to D remained a squeeky myth for many many months!

breathless

Avon I was very lucky to be started off running with 3 hours tuition from a wonderful fella Simon at Sax.co.UK, I think if I hadn't I would have sat there a long time without success.
By the time I left the shop I could just about play up and down the scale.
Prior to my purchase I had already arranged tuition with a sax tutor local to me, I had my 2nd lesson today and came away full of optimism, had a good lesson and several things came together and even got a climpse that I may well be able to master reading music after all. Even went as far as a bit of improvisation to music (although I'm not sure I nailed that) LOL.
It gives you a really good fealing when things come together.

Rgds Lee.

Last edited by a moderator:

Justin Chune

Hi Avon and welcome to the cafe. Playing across wide intervals is difficult and has nothing to do with you being a slow learner. As a matter of fact you seem to be doing very well.

Jim.

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
Hi Avon

Welcome to the cafe hope you enjoy being here,it has been said around here before that to play a note correctly you have to hear it in your head and know where your going takes a bit of getting used to but it is true and comes with time.....John

navarro

Hi Avon, hello and welcome from an extra mature learner (just born 36 years short of the same century as Adolphe Sax)

I picked up the sax (alto) 4 months and 2 days ago for the first time. I had to ask my teacher what the ring on the back was for.

You seem to have made remarkable progress.

Thanks to a good teacher and a great deal of help and encouragement from everyone on this forum, I will be playing, tonight my first solo. (Stolen Moments) with a beginners, college big band. Good luck and regds N.

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom