Tutorials

For Sale Massive Clearance Sale...or something like that!

thomsax

The soprano went "out of fashion" for a long while as a popular instrument although still made by a few companies in the late 1930s to 1965 period. In the 1920s to early 30s it was very popular with lots of C sops besides the Bb.
When the music industry changed in the mid 30's (better recording studios, radio, louder music, Big Band era.... ) the soprano sax didn't fit in. The big band saxsection sat the standard, alto-baritone. And the bandleaders were often piano men. The american big band leader Charlie Barnet played soprano saxes. I think the C soprnos were not so poular as the C tenor/melody. I have a Buescher C soprano and according to a letter from Vincent Bach International (Selmer US export division back in the 80's) Buescher just made around 500 c sopranos.

thomsax

the US sax industry wasn't in any fit shape to be investing in modernising the old designs and so the demand was filled by Selmer.
I was informed the the last Buescher TT soprano (LP 122 model) was made/sold in 1969. A special order. I don't know if it was a blank? Tube and keys made in the 20's? I think some changes were made (better keytouches ). In Europe the saxophone manufactors continued to make sopranos and baris after WWII. But in the 60's and 70's I think it was just a few european makers of sopranos and baris. It's very unlike that a small saxophone maker (300-400 saxes/year) were doing any changes and developments on the tube or construction when the just made c 40-50 ss and bs/year.

Keep Blowing

Commercial Subscriber
Yes, that is possible. I'll be in Germany in late August, Norway in Early September and England in 2nd week of September. I'd only bring them if sold. I don't fancy carrying a horn half way around the world and back. Would be easier and a lot faster for me to ship it. I make up cases for shipping artworks and also make flight cases for horns, so can definitely pack a horn so that it arrives in good condition. As it is I'm playing in Germany and Norway. Nothing is planned playing wise for England. Wife's relatives live there, so primarily a visit. I will have at least two horns with me and possibly three. I have a case I've made up for the three horns I use, but they are specific to those horns (foam is blown around them to only fit those horns). Any extra instrument cases I'd have to pay for as excess baggage, so nothing would be saved in that exercise, also more risk putting a "normal" horn case in with airplane baggage. So it's possible, but not going to happen quickly, has more risk of damage, and could be more expensive than regular shipping (depends on airline excess baggage costs).

It's a good relevant question. Thanks for asking.
Well do let us know if you are playing in the U.K, what sort of thing are you doing in Norway and Germany?

OP
Wade Cornell

Wade Cornell

Subscriber
Well do let us know if you are playing in the U.K, what sort of thing are you doing in Norway and Germany?
There's sort of a small wikiloops festival (four days) in Germany held at a monastery out in the countryside about an hour south of Cologne. In Norway I just get together with other players I know there for jams. They may or may not arrange something in public...up to them to make the arrangements. I have two standing invites in England to play with friends in Cornwall and near Cambridge. Also up to them to arrange if private or public. Will be with my wife and her family in England, so also depends on whether the wife is OK with being a music widow for a few days. I will have saxes with me, so ready for whatever eventuates.

taiwanpaul

HI Taiwanpaul, Happy to send pictures and a clip of the sound. Just to make sure you understand this horn has an intonation quirk typical of curvy horns from that period where C to C# requires (lip) adjustment to keep in pitch. Otherwise very nice mellow tone. Not a horn recommended for beginners. Has custom made flight case and comes with an excellent Morgan "Vintage" mouthpiece.

There is no sea freight postage from New Zealand only air. Cost will be $35 USD or less including tracking. I will charge whatever the real cost is if it's less, and a maximum of $35. OK?

You will need to send me a Private Message with your E-mail details for posting a sound file. I don't know how to post a sound file here. If you do know how to, and would prefer them posted here, please give me details of how to do this. I can post the pictures here in a while or with the sound file if you prefer.
Thanks Wade, pm sent.

OP
Wade Cornell

Wade Cornell

Subscriber
Let me know any that are not and I'll mark them sold

Jx
To be honest I'd have to go back through and see which ones I'd put in that post as there were quite a few. The saxes I've sold recently were a Yani sopranino and Jinbao sopranino. Are they on that list? There's also a stencil Martin soprano pending that I think is on the list. Unfortunately none were sold through the Cafe.

OP
Wade Cornell

Wade Cornell

Subscriber
Thanks, I can wait. Some audio clips demonstrating the range and sound would be great as well.
Can do a recording, but will need to have an E-mail address to send to. If there is a way to post here without it being hosted by youtube or something else I'm not aware of it. Send me a Private Message.

OP
Wade Cornell

Wade Cornell

Subscriber
@Wade Cornell I just happened to come look at this and I wonder, why does the curved sop have two necks? Idle curiosity.
Two different radius curves. The more curved one has a much mellower sound. Makes a big difference. The necks were also interchangeable with another straight Yani sop. I used to use the very curved on on that and played with the bell aimed at the floor. Really changed the charecter and ambience but looked strange as you'd expect the bell to be "tipped". Many of the Yani straight sops have two necks as well with one having a slight curve...same deal as it mellows the tone and allows those who don't play with the horn up at the right angle to play with the mouthpiece at a better angle.

randulo

Europe
Subscriber
Interesting. Fortunately, I don't think this item gives me GAS. A lot of people ask me why I wanted a curved soprano, and my answer is, it fits better in a suitcase (in its case) and possibly some carry-on bags, or backpacks, although that would be risky.

OP
Wade Cornell

Wade Cornell

Subscriber
Interesting. Fortunately, I don't think this item gives me GAS. A lot of people ask me why I wanted a curved soprano, and my answer is, it fits better in a suitcase (in its case) and possibly some carry-on bags, or backpacks, although that would be risky.
I hear you brother! Also why I play sopranino. I have a bamboo case I made for it with a strap that's easy to carry around, fits in a suitcase or backpack and almost no weight. Can whip it out on a whim (without being arrested!)

support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Top Bottom