support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Martin Typewriter alto

ProfJames

Elementary member
Does anybody on the forum play one, own one or have experience? Every key on the sax has a pearl finger pad hence the name but I have been told this makes fingering more difficult and tends to feel uncomfortable.

Recommended vintage sax or not?

That's a good price for a Handcraft. I have one that I will get around to being renovated over the next few months. May even get it re-lacquered. Personally I prefeer the key layout on Martins to newer saxophones as the pinky tables are easier to reach and work.

I much prefer pearls to the modern plastic touches. The feel/grip is better and they don't get this slippery/sticky feel from sweaty paws. I think that BobbyG has hit the nail on the head. There area lot of people who swear by the old Martins.

Thanks guys for your views. I have found one in the USA (less than the one from CE Winds David but thanks) with 95% lacquer, one owner from new, fully over hauled and re-padded. Not ready until July but that is good for my GAS budget predictions! I also like the ergonomics of Martins as it makes them easier for me to finger. However I have yet to hear from anyone that has played or owns one! More views are very much welcome please.

In addition, this is some text taken from a site in the USA -

"Right a way, you will notice that this alto is heavier than most, which is typical of Martin horns. The heavier brass gives this alto the characteristic sensual sound and projection that all Martins have. Originally called "The Master" it earned the name "Typewriter" because every key terminates in a round pearl instead of the elongated keys that you find on the side and palm keys of others".

... However I have yet to hear from anyone that has played or owns one! More views are very much welcome please.

I think Thomsax has. Probably Milandro as well. And I'd be really surprised if Saxismyaxe hasn't.

Have you seen this web site?: http://www.themartinstory.net/

But - I'd forgotten. There are no rollers on the pinky tables. Might be a problem, and I guess that's what you're alluding to.

Yes - US slang for little finger is pinky, hence left hand and right hand pinky table. When there are no rollers between the keys as on early saxes then going from one to the other is slow as you need to lift your finger off. With mother of pearl on these keys your finger won't slide as easily as it would on bare brass. I don't think the LH palm keys will be a problem, but G#/C#/B/Bb and C/Eb will be. LH table isn't articulated, either.

Looks good, though.

I have indeed played a couple examples of this model. Although one would think that the keytouches would feel wildly foreign and awkward compared to the more familiar layout, muscle memory actually does it's job and it takes very little time to adjust.

Having said that, given a choice, one can see why horn makers have stuck to the more ergonomic and logical configuration we all know and use.

Of course it has the superb tone and build quality found in all Martin horns.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have never owned or played a Master/Typewriter. My friend (teacher, musician, mk6 player ..) was shocked when one of his students showed up with a Typewriter. But he also thought the tone and intonation was good! The Committee models are #1 for me. I have 9 Comm saxes. To maintain and keep my Martins in good playing condition needs a lot of time and sometimes money as well, so 6 saxes is max for me. I would like to own a late HC soprano and a Magna low A bari ..... .

The Master/Typewriter was only made between 1929 and 1932 and supposedly have thicker brass and a deep tone because of their age and thickness of metal. My two Imperials play perfectly and have a great tone. My tutor of 70+ years learnt on Martins and Conns and adores the sound of the Martins. The keys suit me being in a straight line and even though they need a little more TLC than modern horns I prefer the "playability" of a Martin. I shall need to save to get as many Comms as you! What a collection, I am green with envy!

I bought my first "The Martin " in 1983. In fact I bought all my Martins before internet. I think the prices became higher after we got internet!?!?! I love Martin saxes, but last Saturday I played another great sax; King Super 20 tenor. Made around -66 with underslung octave key and silver neck pipe. Nice sax. There was also a SML Rev D c -56 that I tried. Both played well. Strong players with lots of power.

Back
Top Bottom