• Eligibility to post classifieds

The Yardsale is not intended for use by people joining the forum purely to sell an item, so members must have at least 40 posts to be eligible. However new members may post if they either:

• upgraded their account with an annual (not monthly) subscription. This is for access to sell without needing the 40 posts and the contribution after a successful sale still applies.
    • or pay the 5% contribution on the initial listing price up front (non refundable) then a listing will be allowed.

In either case please contact us if you are not yet able to posts

support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Martin Handcraft - Lewin Stencil

Mack

Offers invited for this Martin Handcraft (Lewin Stencil) alto. Lovely horn, serviced by Griff of this forum. Silver plated, comes in the original Lewin case which is in good condition for its age. The end plug serial number matches the horn. No dents or dings, the silver finish is in very good condition.

You will probably have read Stephen Howard's review but here is the link anyway -

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk/Reviews/Saxes/Alto/Martin_Handcraft_alto.htm

Also a link to the Martin Story site - http://www.themartinstory.net/version7/models-handcraft.php

Lewin Brothers of London imported saxes from a variety of manufacturers but Martin was their main supplier, and the majority of those were Handcrafts (going by my research on t'interweb...). The engraving is the usual Martin wording - "A name that will win you fame" etc.

Tonewise the horn is lovely - the high register in particular has a rounded singing quality which I haven't come across in another horn. I have played it with an Otto Link ebonite and a Yanigasawa mouthpiece - both were fine, the Yani having a more open sound. Low Pitch A. I am selling without a mouthpiece.

This is a Handcraft in excellent condition.

Difficult to know what to ask pricewise - most of the Handcrafts seen on ebay need a bit of work or are at least of unknown quality - this has been checked over by Griff and is in excellent condition so I would hope for more than the usual.

Any questions please ask. If you live near Exeter come and have a play. The photos hould appear below - if not i will seek help!

martin3.1.jpgMartin8.jpgmartin2.1.jpgmartin17.1.jpgmartin5.1.jpgMartin6.jpgmartin3.1.jpgMartin8.jpgmartin2.1.jpgmartin17.1.jpgmartin5.1.jpgMartin6.jpg

This sax is a real gem and if you want that swewt lush martin tone then this could be the one for you - I aint on commission and have no connection with Mack other than that he is a great customer of mine.

A nice sax you have. There are some details on your sax that I've not seen on Martin built saxes before. The small "help key" on the bottom of the sax is on the right side. It was on the left side on the Martins I've owned. Also the stamped "A" below Low Pitch is rare. My Handcrafts was just stamped "Low Pitch " and the serial number. Otherwise it looks like a Martin. Maybe this will help you to get an even higher price.

Thomas

Difficult to know what to ask pricewise - most of the Handcrafts seen on ebay need a bit of work or are at least of unknown quality - this has been checked over by Griff and is in excellent condition so I would hope for more than the usual.

Please note you need to mention a price (and amount to charity) if you are going to list it here.

Apologies!

Sorry Pete - I will of course donate - 5%, and I will set an asking price of £400. I will be taking it to Griff this evening for a check over and to service anything that needs it, and I will ask him aout the price, so I may revise it later.

The sax has now been checked over by Griff - just needed a few rollers oiling etc. He has recommended a price of £450 or nearest offer, so that is now the price. 5% donation to Pete's charity.

I want to avoid the whole ebay experience if possible, with its double whammy of final value fees followed by paypal fees, so I am now asking £375 or nearest offer. If anyone wants more pictures of any particular part of the horn just let me know. Thanks

Just to say how much I am enjoying this sax Mack - it really is a beaut. Never having played a vintage sax before I am amazed by the tone - currently trying out a few borrowed period mouthpieces. A great buy - a pleasure to deal with you - thanks

Glad you're enjoying it - please look after it - my baby! Just couldn't justify having two when I need money for wine and other necessities...

Upper register particularly good I thought - a kind of rounded singing tone to it