support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Martin Committee Tenor Neck Screw

Mikey B

Hi everyone, I could really use some help with the dimensions and thread size of the neck thumbscrew that retains the neck to the body on the above horn. Any help as always is greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance, Mike

depends if it's one of these -
Committee%202-_____1-tenor-6.jpg

or one of these -
The%20Martin-219062-tenor-8.JPG

For The Martin I think a baritone(brass) or sousaphone bell screws works. The are not wing screws. The Martin have round screws. 8-32 = 4,7 mm? I not familiar with the "inch system".

Just resurrecting this thread again as I had too many balls in the air the at the time. The neck screw is for a Comm III tenor.

What diameter should the knurled section of the thumb screw be? And what thickness? And overall length including the 10-32 thread

Thanks everyone.

The screw head on the tenor has a diameter of 15mm, with a thickness of 4mm.

The thread is indeed 10-32nds, and the the threaded portion is 10mm long. However the head is machined with hollowed pocket of 2mm in which the threaded section is soldered (And the 2mm felt washer sits in this pocket), so the actual exposed threaded portion is 8mm.

The screw head on the tenor has a diameter of 15mm, with a thickness of 4mm.

The thread is indeed 10-32nds, and the the threaded portion is 10mm long. However the head is machined with hollowed pocket of 2mm in which the threaded section is soldered (And the 2mm felt washer sits in this pocket), so the actual exposed threaded portion is 8mm.

I don't understand the part about the "felt washer". Can you provide a picture?

The thread is indeed 10-32nds,
Just an "observation" from an American Machinist and Assembler: (read insufferable perfectionist) the size designation in Not A Fraction. { i.e. 10/32 should be 5/16?}
A #10 screw is about 3/16th of an inch and can be threaded in 24 threads per inch (National Coarse), 32 threads per inch (National Fine) or 40 tpi (National Special).
Trust me, I deal with this with my younger mechanics all the time.
I found this chart a few months ago as a guide for selecting replacements.
http://www.engineeredpartsinc.com/pdf/metric-conversions.pdf