• Eligibility to post classifieds

The Yardsale is not intended for use by people joining the forum purely to sell an item, so members must have at least 40 posts to be eligible. However new members may post if they either:

• upgraded their account with an annual (not monthly) subscription. This is for access to sell without needing the 40 posts and the contribution after a successful sale still applies.
    • or pay the 5% contribution on the initial listing price up front (non refundable) then a listing will be allowed.

In either case please contact us if you are not yet able to posts

support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

SOLD Martin Committee III The Martin Tenor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pete Thomas

Cafe Moderator
Commercial Supporter
Price of Item
£1600
Cafe Fundraising
5%
Superb condition, original lacquer, fettled to within an inch of its life by the Haynes Maestro himself, Stephen Howard.

Golden era of jazz and rock 1954/55

Toneholes and Neck tenon/ receiver lovingly resoldered by maestrotech Stephen Howard

Complete with saxophone case and some surprise goodies thrown in.

Many more pics to follow and any close ups on request.

Buy it before I burst into tears and change my mind.

Martin Committee III

Last edited:
Will you consider it sold...

Please... someone buy it and take the tempatation away!!!
Please note this is indeed still for sale.

(NB: best to keep offers, posts about wanting to buy etc. to PMs with the seller not on the thread, I will remove those as it's a bit misleading

Great saxes. I already have two " The Martin Tenor " ..... .

Went to a concert with Nick Lowe & Los Straitjackets last night. A "The Martin Tenor" would fit perfect into Lowe's music.

Note there is no ding in the bow, it's a trick of the light. There obviously may have been a couple of small dings that were attended to humanely in the past. It's an old horn that has been gigged but still, somehow, in great condition and lovingly brought up to snuff by Mr Howard.

Last edited:
Wut!? You have a Martin "The Martin" tenor, and you sell it!?

Great saxes! My Martin is probably the best tenor I have played (and yes, I tried a few Selmer Mk VI'es too) ... great tonal flexibility, and the tuning is excellent. Keywork feels like a race car to me as well (even the side plateau).

I am just surprised by the right thumb rest; isn't that supposed to be adjustable?

Something in the world is not right when people are buying new Asian horns for three times the price of this beauty.

comm-iii-1-jpg.21429
Agreed. The rhs thumbrest is holding it (me?) back imo. I’ve been looking for one on ebay. When I get one I’ll make a bid. Don’t know when tho. And hopefully send it to our Cafe contributor SH for some tlc.

I
I've seen them recently.
Not sure if it was alto or tenor but it said sand casted?? so is that a replica?
i’ve seen alto and baritone but no tenor. But they cost close to $100. I honestly don’t know anything about sand casting but my guess would be it’s a replica.

Martin Committee adjustable rh thumb rests are cool. But can cause trouble. I have the adjustable thumb rests on my Martin saxes but there are better solutions. So don't let the adjustable thumb rest hold you back. I think "Martin" (Wurlitzer) dropped the adjustable thumb rest in the late 60's?

I

i’ve seen alto and baritone but no tenor. But they cost close to $100. I honestly don’t know anything about sand casting but my guess would be it’s a replica.

The sand casting method means pressing an item in to a special kind of sand to make a mould. The object is then removed and molten metal poured in to sand mould creating a copy of the original item. Each sand mould can only be used once as it is typically destroyed removing the newly formed metal part. It is a convenient way of making castings in low numbers.

I think it safe to assume that in this case the item used to create the mould would be an original Martin thumb rest and the item for sale is indeed a replica.

That said it is a commonly used method in production casting of metal parts for certain applications, but I doubt it would have been used for making the original parts as I assume they would have been machined.

I'm finding it very hard to let this one go, will close the thread for a bit while I think about it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom