All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Saxophones Martin Bari

JTMaul

I may be close to a chance of acquiring a Martin Bari sax, in bad condition, for no cost. I don't know what model it is. I haven't seen pictures/in-person. It would be from my grandfather if he's willing to part with it. I'm getting rather giddy with the news. Anyone on here ever play on martins and could offer advice?

Edit: I've recently connected some dots and came to realized it is lacquered. If this can help identify the model, I'll be getting excited while I wait for replies.

Last edited by a moderator:

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
I'm envious. Very envious.

Finish won't tell you what model it is, but serial number, engravings are needed. And photos. Lots of good Martin pics at saxpics.com. Not sure about the Baris, though.

I hope it works out for you and you're able to enjoy it! Let us know how you get on.

rhysonsax

Subscriber
My first bari was a "The Martin" from about 1957. It had a great sound, reasonable ergonomics and action and I wish I still had it. I prefer the sound to that of my Conn 12M, which is comparable, but generally much more highly regarded.

Many Martin baris are famous for having sharp E2 and F2, but that can be overcome and the good ones are well worth having.

Rhys

JTMaul

There's a great website called The Martin Story. Well worth a look.

that was actually the website I used to learn a great deal of what I know about Martins, and plan to use it's serial # guide when I get that. I'll most likely have more info and even pictures up by sunday night here, texas time.

thomsax

I think Martin baris are very good. But a bad or ”beaten up” bari costs a lot to repair. A player here in Sweden bought a ”The Martin Baritone” (Ebay bargain!!) with a bent body. I was so bent, so if the body should be straighten up most of the chimnys/toneholes had to be removed and then resoldered. This costs a lot of money and you also need a repairman that can do it.

I think the Martin baris from mid 30’s (Comm I) to the 60’s (Comm III) sounds roughly the same. I compare my -62 Martin to a -37 Martin Handcraft with the same mouthpiece. The Martin company said that the were minor changes made on the taper and bore over the years to meet the demand of the musicindustry; louder and faster. To play faster was more about the design of the keys. They sounded roughly the same but the ergonomics is better on ”The Martin Baritone”. The thumbrest is adjustable on ”The Martin Baritone”. I think the Martins with the bell keys on the same side are the right baris to look for. They were designed for ”the new music”; big bands”, swing, jazzsolists …. and later jazzcombos and oldtime R&B honking. But even the the classical players founded Martin saxes a good player. Cecil Lesson was playing a Comm II..

When we are talking about Martin baris we must mention ”The Martin Magna Baritone” to low A. The first American made low A baritone. Conn also did a low A but it was some years later. Martin and Conn was the only American manufactors that officially made low A baris. I’ve been looking for a low A Martin bari for a long time and I found one in Copenhagen the other year. The trouble is that the owner want to much money for his sax! I understand him, they are delicate. But my baritone from -62 to low Bb is very good and I often play in the keys of F# and C# , Rock & Roll keys !!!., so the low A is not that useful for me. The extra weight of a low A is perhaps just getting me a hurting back.!?!?!?!

Thomas

JTMaul

Anyone that has been paying attention to the thread, I did announce that I would be posting pictures today. It's come up that I won't get the chance until Tuesday. Hopefully not many more changes...

JTMaul

Oh man, Oh man, This is a 1962-63 The Martin Baritone. It's got a bullet wound, 1/2 of the high D palm key (luckily the half that covers the tone hole), worn out pads, and needs key adjustment. How much do you guys think this repair could cost me? I know it's gotta be at the very least $500, possibly double that reasonably. Surprisingly the body is not bent in any any unusual places. I've probably missed things that a trained repairman might notice, like how messed up the rods are and things of that nature. I'll be taking it to 2 separate repairmen in my area so wish me luck!

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Bullet wound?????

The rest doesn't sound too tricky/expensive.

Good luck, your Grandfather's a very generous man!!! And you're lucky!

Top Bottom