support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Market recovery or flash in the pan?

Saxlicker

And did it go to a lucky CafeSax member?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180425321241&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:GB:1123

(for expired ebay listing purposes £4K, 1973 MKVI tenor excellent condition)

Last edited:
It did seem a lot of money right now, hence the title question but who ever owns it now has a very pretty one which will probably only go up in value in the long haul provided they keep it that long.
I'd guess 5 years +
I know of a few almost as nice looking that have gone for just under £3.5K in the last 6 months.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw that listing and guessed it would go for between £3k and £4k, just because it looks so 'as new'. All the Mark VIs I've seen have at least some 'character patina' from use. Not that I'd have paid that much, or even half that much for it, to be honest. Still, by definition it's worth that amount to someone, as that's what they paid for it.

Market recovery? Recovery from what? The average 'man on the Clapham omnibus' with a job he's managed to keep, and a mortgage, has actually been better off than normal due to ridiculously low interest rates. OK, there has been a trading recession in some sectors, but for most people the only depression they're in is the one from all the doom and gloom being peddled by the media.

Jon

Market recovery? Recovery from what?

OK, there has been a trading recession in some sectors, but for most people the only depression they're in is the one from all the doom and gloom being peddled by the media.
Jon

Well, the trading recession that has knocked the crap out of some people.
Good for you if you aren't witnessing suffering by anyone close to you.
Anyway my guess, back on topic is that it's still a flash in the pan.

Well, the trading recession that has knocked the crap out of some people.
Good for you if you aren't witnessing suffering by anyone close to you.
Anyway my guess, back on topic is that it's still a flash in the pan.

Sorry if I've offended you in any way. I don't think I said that I hadn't witnessed any suffering. The only point I was trying to make is that a lot of peeps are actually doing very nicely at the moment, and the endless carping on from the media is what actually makes a recession a self fulfilling prophesy. By persuading folk times are hard for them even if they are doing OK dissuades them from spending their cash. Then you get a contracting economy. Compared to the bad days of the 1980s when Monetarists strangled the economy with interest rates of 16%, hitting everyone, including those in work, things are not so bad.

I guess I just get a bit testy about this issue, when i see nonsense like the BBC showing intereviews with people saying 'it's worse now than during the war'. Plainly it's not, and I know from experience that retailers of luxury goods such as Swiss watches, motorbikes and, dare I say it, saxophones are getting good prices. Hence (bringing this ramble back round to topic) my lack of surprise at the high price that VI went for.

Sorry if I've offended you in any way.

Hi Jon,
That's OK you didn't...I see how it reads though. Even if you had everyone has and is entitled to an opinion. Different strokes and all that.
I agree the media harp on and over play things for sure.
Still though, it's not nice out there for some right now and I think prices have been reflecting that.