All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Marius Neset new CD - August 2012

TomMapfumo

Hi Folks!

Just received a communication from Edition Records regarding a forthcoming release involving Marius Neset, notable Norwegian Saxophonist. The CD is called "Neck of the Woods, and additionally features a Norwegian tuba player (Daniel Herskedal) and a Norwegian Male Choir.

Here is the Title Track: http://soundcloud.com/editionrecords/neck-of-the-woods-free . I certainly like it, but opinions welcome. It is released in UK on 27th August 2012.

Kind regards
Tom

navarro

Hi Folks!

Just received a communication from Edition Records regarding a forthcoming release involving Marius Neset, notable Norwegian Saxophonist. The CD is called "Neck of the Woods, and additionally features a Norwegian tuba player (Daniel Herskedal) and a Norwegian Male Choir.

Hi Tom, I have to admit ignorance here I had never heard of Mr. Neset but like what I have just heard. Having more than a phial full of Norwegian blood in me (Father American of Norwegian descent.)

It has got a degree of mysticism within the melody which I associate with Norway. (I have never been.) Really enjoyed it. Regds N.

Strange thing a pop up stating `Message too short please add four more characters.` came up. Is this something new. ?

TomMapfumo

The thing I love about North European Jazz is that it has both Folk and Classical elements. American Jazz seems to be mainly about Blues elements and similar, which is not something that I have a natural affinity with, being a North European myself.

It is only Marius's second CD. If you like this then Lars Danielsson latest CD - Liberetto (ACT) - is well worth listening to!

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Hi Folks!

Hi Tom, I have to admit ignorance here I had never heard of Mr. Neset but like what I have just heard. Having more than a phial full of Norwegian blood in me (Father American of Norwegian descent.)

It has got a degree of mysticism within the melody which I associate with Norway. (I have never been.) Really enjoyed it. Regds N.

Strange thing a pop up stating `Message too short please add four more characters.` came up. Is this something new. ?
Nope. It's always been there...

Actual problem is that you've deleted the closing tag from the quote. So it saw your additions as part of the quoted message, not as your new message. And that's also why the quote doesn't display properly. I've added the closing tag back in to get this reply to display properly...

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
Just had a chance to check this guy out- some lovely stuff here.... keep those recommendations coming..... 'neck of the woods' is quite an epic journey within one track, isn't it (which raises an interesting point relating to your previous post- there's a lot more structure coming through in pieces like this compared with- play head, loop for solos until everyone's had a fair bash- approach which is the default 'american' jazz set up)

Nick Wyver

noisy
Subscriber
there's a lot more structure coming through in pieces like this compared with- play head, loop for solos until everyone's had a fair bash- approach which is the default 'american' jazz set up)
One of the reasons I'm rather bored with the standard jazz set up. That and the "look how fast I can play" approach.

Nick Wyver

noisy
Subscriber
It is only Marius's second CD.
Hi Tom. Thanks for that. I'd not come across him before. On rummaging around I find that Emusic have "Golden Xplosion" and "Suite for the Seven Mountains" by him. Also a album with Ole Amund Gjersvik (double bass) called "Duo Improvisations".

Nick Wyver

noisy
Subscriber
It's jolly good stuff isn't it?

He can play fast too (without invoking the spirit of Charlie bleedin' Parker). Check out the bottom video of this lot.

BigMartin

Saw him at the RNCM Sax Day yesterday. Amazing technique, interesting ideas, etc, but really not my cup of tea. It all came over as really aggressive and testosterone-fuelled. Maybe when/if he grows up a bit...

TomMapfumo

The new CD is a different kettle of fish - Neck of the Woods, by Daniel Herskedal & Marius Neset on Edition Records! Just playing it now.

navarro

The new CD is a different kettle of fish - Neck of the Woods, by Daniel Herskedal & Marius Neset on Edition Records! Just playing it now.
Hi Tom thanks for the reminder I have just ordered it through Amazon. I certainly will be checking out more of their recordings in future. Regds N.

TomMapfumo

Hi Navarro!

I suppose what I like about North European Jazz is: American Jazz is particularly influenced by Blues music, whereas North European Jazz is particularly influenced by both Folk and Classical music, and generally touches me at a more familiar and hence deeper level.

Try and listen to "Remembrance" by Ketil Bjornstad (ECM 2010) if you ever have the chance - it has the other great Norwegian Tenor Sax player - Tore Brunberg, who is older and a little more reflective in his playing.

Here is an excerpt: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBRCBXLGdz8

BigMartin

Hi Navarro!

I suppose what I like about North European Jazz is: American Jazz is particularly influenced by Blues music, whereas North European Jazz is particularly influenced by both Folk and Classical music, and generally touches me at a more familiar and hence deeper level.
(I know this wasn't really directed at me, but) Interesting point. My mum was born in 1920 and loved American big-band dance music. So I grew up hearing a lot of that. Also Nat King Cole. Whereas I didn't have much exposure to folk music. So American jazz tends to speak more directly to me than European.

Try and listen to "Remembrance" by Ketil Bjornstad (ECM 2010) if you ever have the chance - it has the other great Norwegian Tenor Sax player - Tore Brunberg, who is older and a little more reflective in his playing.

Thanks for the link. Definitely more my pace and volume level than the Neset gig the other night. But this kind of music (also Jan Garbarek, who I've never been able to get into) comes across as quite static to me, as if it's setting a mood but then not telling a story. I think I just like to hear more chord changes; I also find modal jazz quite hard to engage with.

Last edited by a moderator:

What

I like it very much. The feel of the song reminds me of some of the scores I used to hear in fantasy video games when I was a kid. I was always moved by how much could be conveyed by those midi files and 16 bit sprites.

navarro

Hi Navarro!

Hi Tom I`m getting more and more into it. Funnily enough I am watching a TV semi humorous drama called `Lillyhammer` where American culture clashes with Norwegian. Some of the background music is quite interesting, but the show in a funny kind of way illustrates how it would be very difficult to really influence their music, and how their loyalty to cultural roots is first and foremost. Thanks for introducing me to this. Best regards N.

old git

Tremendous Bore
You'll just have to accept that you are not a "proper" European...............................:thumb:
Kind regards
Tom
Homo Neanderthalensus existed in Europe for a long time after homo sapiens arrived.

How's the brow ridge, Tom? ;}

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom