support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

March BOTM - 'My Funny Valentine'

@Chris Thanks for demonstrating the versatility of this wonderful tune. The melodic ideas in your improv are getting better all the time.

Thanks jbtsax, I tried a harder approach (than my typical ballad playing) with this one to be different, although I thought it might be a little to much over the top.

Appropriately @Chris appears at the top of a new page with a totally new slant on it. Nice one Chris. The thread has turned over a new leaf in only a couple of days! Keep posting.
:sax::clapping: :happydance: :sax:
Alun, the tune is very flexible. It was fun to try something different without getting too fast as this is still the ballad thread, thanks for the comments.

Now, I'd like to hear that on alto :thumb:

Now you just know what I'm going to say to that Kev don't you>:):rofl::rofl:
I think we'll be expecting a version from your good self:w00t: sometime in the next 3 1/2 weeks will do :thumb:

@Chris Thanks for demonstrating the versatility of this wonderful tune. The melodic ideas in your improv are getting better all the time.

John, there are a good few old ballads that sit well as a Bossa number. I did a list for myself a couple of yrs ago I'll dig it out if I can find it. I enjoyed doing this one. Thanks for the listen and the feedback.

btw Anyone that would like the 'Latin' backing track let me know and I'll sort it..

Chris...

Now you just know what I'm going to say to that Kev don't you>:):rofl::rofl:
I think we'll be expecting a version from your good self:w00t: sometime in the next 3 1/2 weeks will do :thumb:

Chris...
I forgot to add 'your' ;)

here's was my first take on this tune, much tamer then the other one I posted
https://soundcloud.com/bflateflat/my-funny-valentine

Really enjoying listening to this :)

Thanks

Jx

Last edited:
@bflateflat I enjoyed your last, first take post, best of the two so far. Looking forward to the next.

@MandyH Wow what an improvement from your first post! :clapping: Try to keep the confidence of the first few bars and not let your nerves translate into the fluttering diaphragm which results in the trembling sound. When you are recording try and switch off to everything but you and the music, that is all that matters. A book I found very helpful is 'Effortless Mastery' by Kenny Werner.

@bflateflat accomplished playing and very enjoyable.:thumb:
@MandyH way to go Mandy, very nice version.:thumb: Perhaps you could use a little vibrato
on the longer notes??:) Also with it being a jazz ballad don't always feel you have to play
the notes as written value wise, have a play around..:)
@U CAN CALL ME AL Alun there isn't enough jazz in 3/4:w00t: Really there should be a lot more,
food for thought for future ballads Hmmm! nice version:thumb:

Chris..

I recorded a quick and dirty version for SOTW in July 2013. I used one of my oldest mouthpieces, a 1935-1940 Otto Link Four**** refaced to an 8* tip by Jon van Wie. It's a stuffy old Link sound with a dark core and a lot of 'Ben Webster air' when played with subtone. I used a backing from youtube and was a bit surprised by the (IMO) kind of annoying change in rhythm of the backing after the first chorus. Caught me by surprise, I didn't listen to the backing before hitting the record button :). Anyhow, here is my 2013 take:

- 'My Funny Valentine' (Four 8* JvW - La Voz medium - 2013):
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12526490

Hope to record a new version of this tune later this month with another backing and mouthpiece.

@mrpeebee If I didn't know you better I'd say you were telling porkies! If I'd been doing this,would have screamed and abandoned ship. Nice Websterish breathy sound in the head and full of energy in the exc* improv.
:thumb:

Chris beat me to it with his Bossa version so just for fun Conn 12m bari

FUNNY WALTZ

@MandyH Hope this sounds a little less funereal!​
Definitely not funereal!!
I think I need to give the piece it's due! Maybe it was just the duet arrangement that we were playing!
Strangely, we decided to play How High the Moon - a piece that I had had nightmares over when I did that Jazz Improv MOOC course a couple of years back. I really hadn't ever wanted to play it again, but the duet arrangement has really grown on me too!

I started including "How High the Moon" in my repertoire specifically to get more familiar with playing in G.

Hey,

after practicing only tenor the last weeks I decided to give my altos a blow.
Playback is Hal Leonard Miles Davis...
One half of the tune is written out, I followed loosely, the other half is improvised.
Altos are Yanagisawa 992, Selmer Reference 54 and Selmer Mark VII.
If you like, guess which is 1, 2, and 3.
I'm always surprised myself how it feels while playing, and how it sounds in the end.
iPad recording, Apogee Duet, Nohypeaudio LRM2.
No hiding behind subtone possible, hehe.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6518653/Cafe%20Saxophone/Valentine%201.mp3
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6518653/Cafe%20Saxophone/Valentine%202.mp3
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6518653/Cafe%20Saxophone/Valentine%203.mp3

Cheers,
Guenne

P.S.: I have listened through most of the versions, there are some very professional ones, wow!

Last edited:
@Guenne Your posts never disappoint. I am not even going to attempt the which is what sax bit.
All three versions have a typical 'Miles' feel in the playing. You play the 'wrong' notes with the conviction needed which makes them sound 'right'.
Your playing, tone, articulation, improvisation all make me envious and something to aspire to. :D With envy. Al

@Guenne )1) ref 54 (2) 992 (3) mkVll Go on I'll be brave and have a guess, all played a certain class that made all three versions very easy to listen to. It really is good that versions of this quality get posted as it gives us something to aim for. :thumb:

Chris...

@Guenne When I listened to the version by Miles Davis at the start of this thread I thought, "I wonder what it would sound like if a saxophone were to play this piece in that style". You must have read my mind. :) Your 1st take was thoroughly enjoyable. The pitch, tone, style, and melodic ideas make me want to listen to it again and again. Now I'm going to treat myself to the other two.

P.S. We need a really like icon.

Back
Top Bottom