support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

March BOTM - 'My Funny Valentine'

https://soundcloud.com/mandyh/my-funny-valentine-mah1

there you go, then!
this is straight off, first time. sight reading the lead sheet, and suddenly realising that at the end I had no idea where it ended nor how! hence the slightly strange ending.

I might give it another go when I've got to grips with the backing track, but actually i didn't think it was too bad.

I don't think my sax was in tune with the backing track though.

@MandyH Many thanks for posting, I hope you didn't feel pressured into it. As well as familiarizing yourself with the tune and backing track learn the lyrics sing it (even if only in your head) so you will instinctively know where you are in the grand scheme of it.
Looking forward to your next take.
Regards Al

@Colin the Bear a couple of cool versions as always:thumb::mrcool
@U CAN CALL ME AL nice 1st version Alun:thumb:
@jbtsax John thanks for the feedback, I guess I should work on
how to develop a solo better and perhaps use more of the range
of the sax. :)
@MandyH See that wasn't too painful was it:). Joking aside that
was a nice first version done cold Mandy. Always give at least one
listen through the whole backing just so there are no nasty surprises
waiting for you,:w00t: such as a vocalist >:) Well done..
@Nick Wyver you really should post more music Nick, that was very good
and very easy on the ears:thumb:

Chris..

@Nick Wyver I've always struggled with alto. I don't play one myself (at least not yet), but I find myself mostly turned off by this size of a sax.

And then something comes up, that suddendly seems very interesting in it's own and not as a no-use middle-sized instrument between tenor and soprano.

Your take on this classic was one of those. Thank you.

can I ask a question?

now that I have had time to sing / listen etc to the backing track...just when does the "jump to coda" occur? :headscratch:

If I count bars in the backing track and count bars in the score, I seem to have 4 bars more backing track than score if I go to the coda (which is just one bar) at the end of bar 37 (the first bar of the whole bottom line).

Your advice much appreciated.

I guess this highlights my OCD - if it's not written, I can't cope! If it is written, but "wrong" I also can't cope!

Yours, not coping .... :( :confused:

@MandyH after the Abmaj7 bar 37 the track plays Fm Bb7| Eb6 l Eb6 || the notes for the 1st Eb6 chord are 1/4 note G, 1/4 note G then triplet crotchet on the last to beats with the first beat a 1/2 note the 2nd note a 1/4 note.The second one just play as you like to end. TBH just improvise the ending to taste.

@jimmylh sounding good Jimmy, perhaps a little vibrato to breathe some feeling into it:thumb:

Chris..

@jimmylh I agree with Chris although my own vibrato often leaves a lot to be desired on times. Listen to a few of @Colin the Bear 's posts. Look forward to a full version. :thumb:

@MandyH You ought to know you can ask as many questions as you like on here and you'll always get an appropriate answer. I play by dots and ear and like you I struggle if the dots what is wrote sound wrong, this often happens in big band when you can't hear the overall sound.

Last edited:
@Nick Wyver I've always struggled with alto. I don't play one myself (at least not yet), but I find myself mostly turned off by this size of a sax.

And then something comes up, that suddendly seems very interesting in it's own and not as a no-use middle-sized instrument between tenor and soprano.

Your take on this classic was one of those. Thank you.
Cheers. Although I've played alto for a very long time, up until a few years ago I'd never really got on with it in the same way that I had with the other three saxes. It took a mouthpiece to revise my opinion of it. I bought a Sakshama Studio G90 through this forum and I immediately had a sound I could use in the band. Lately I've been using a Ponzol Custom Delrin 85 (again bought through the forum) which is the one used on this recording. It wouldn't really be my first choice for a ballad but I just wondered what it would sound like.

Back
Top Bottom