support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

March BOTM - 'My Funny Valentine'

U CAN CALL ME AL

Café Supporter
Hi everyone again! I was very pleased and surprised to be asked to host BOTM, my second time, by John ( many thanks for last month).

Choosing was difficult as I tunes had two in mind. I’ll save the other in case I’m ever asked again.

I am indebted to Chris who has come up with the dots and a backing track that can be found at:

My personal favourite has to be Gerry Mulligan from the album “Dream a Little Dream”

Some others you may like but there are thousands of recordings to give you inspiration.

Looking forward to listening to all of your posts.​

Alun​

I won't join you this month! A couple of weeks ago, a friend and I played through several duets in search of one to play for an upcoming concert. This was one of the pieces that we played.
She turned to me and said "you know when you are doing the theory part of your exam, and you have to describe a piece, and our teacher says "just say what it reminds you of" "..... At which point we looked at each other and said absolutely simultaneously "funeral".....

Thanks for an early start this month.

@Clivey nice one will be interesting to see how you've developed (it) after a few years.

@Colin the Bear Wholly agree, why haven't we done this before, will you be exercising your vocals on this one?

@MandyH Not contributing? Shame on you.:verysad

@B Flat really enjoyed it, always enjoy this one on a bari. Roos don't seem to have changed crossbar sound will probably have them on mine when the time comes!

Keep them coming.:thumb:

Last edited:
@U CAN CALL ME AL Alun, great pick for the Botm thread:thumb:
@Clivey very nice sounding playing Clive, created a great feel
to this one. Like Alun it will be good to see what you do 3 yrs later
@MandyH :w00t: Not taking part, :verysad, you have to give it a try
now you posted you won't be doing:thumb:

@B Flat Nick, sounds good as always. Iknow I've said it before but
you always seem to be able to create a great mood for the music
you are playing:thumb:

And finally my version.

"My Funny Valentine"

Chris..

I love this tune---especially the lyrics:

My funny valentine
Sweet comic valentine
You make me smile with my heart
Your looks are laughable
Unphotographable
Yet you're my favorite work of art

Is your Figure less than Greek?
Is your mouth a little weak?
When you open it to speak
Are you smart?

But don't change your hair for me
Not if you care for me
Stay little valentine stay
Each day is Valentines day

Great choice. My 'effort' will either be within the the next week or not until the end of the month. 2 weeks on the Red Sea coast intervening :cheers:

Probably a dumb question but where does bar 41 fit into the scheme of things?

Last edited:
@B Flat really enjoyed it, always enjoy this one on a bari. Roos don't seem to have changed crossbar sound will probably have them on mine when the time comes!

Thanks.
The Roo's can be a bugger on the rolled tone holes though.
Harder to get a seal on the keys with guards on them as they can't be removed.

@U CAN CALL ME AL Alun, great pick for the Botm thread:thumb:
@Clivey very nice sounding playing Clive, created a great feel
to this one. Like Alun it will be good to see what you do 3 yrs later
@MandyH :w00t: Not taking part, :verysad, you have to give it a try
now you posted you won't be doing:thumb:

@B Flat Nick, sounds good as always. Iknow I've said it before but
you always seem to be able to create a great mood for the music
you are playing:thumb:

And finally my version.

"My Funny Valentine"

Chris..
Thanks Chris.
Enjoyed your take also, improv was very inkeeping with the tune.

Now that my back is feeling much better and I'm no longer doped up on drugs I can participate a bit more on the comments.

@Clivey Nice style. The way you blow through the notes sounds very professional. Great improv especially toward the end where there is more rhythmic definition.

@Chris Great listening and playing in time---much improved. I think this is your best improv I've heard so far. You are ready to go to the next level and start thinking about adding some contour.

@B Flat Nice bari sound. You have a good feel for the minor tonality of this tune.

@Colin the Bear #1 A very nice swing feel. Your playing/busking experience has taught you to really listen to the backing track which makes a big difference. #2 Nice interplay between the bari and alto. I would have liked to hear more of the drums and the rest of the rhythm to give better definition to the jazz waltz feel.

@U CAN CALL ME AL A very sensitive take on the melody. Your improv stayed well within the changes. You might think about trying to work in some of the "color" notes like the b5's and b9's.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom