Tutorials

March BOTM - 'My Funny Valentine'

OP
U CAN CALL ME AL

U CAN CALL ME AL

Subscriber
Locality
Undy Monmouthshire U.K.
@Luc Thanks for posting. There was I thinking everyone is asleep, fed up with it or the thread has run out.
Started off tentatively and the timings and rythm seemeed alittle misplaced, forgive me if it was deliberate. Grew in confidence as the recording progressed, you obviously knew where you were in the structure of the tune, and the timings and rythm improved. Well done.

Al

• Thanks
Reactions: Luc

Luc

Locality
From the French Alps, now in Algarve Portugal
Actually my timing is a big issue so it was not deliberate. I haven't notice though, I need to listen again.
Cheers
Luc

Chris

Well Known
Subscriber
Locality
Manchester,England
Alun and Luc a couple of nice versions to keep tings ticking over. Luc I had a listen to one or two of your early tracks on soundcloud, you can hear how much progress you have made over the past 12 months:clapping:
Alun, threads tend to ebb and flow a little, I don't think it's anything to worry about.:)

Anyone that would like a different style of backing for this tune just ask and I'll sort something out, also anyone that would like just one chorus just to improvise over just ask.:thumb:

Chris..:)

• Thanks
Reactions: Luc

Luc

Locality
From the French Alps, now in Algarve Portugal
Thank you Chris, it's good to hear that, as I don't notice by myself. Still a long way to go though. :)

OP
U CAN CALL ME AL

U CAN CALL ME AL

Subscriber
Locality
Undy Monmouthshire U.K.
@billbluesnjazz Enjoyed the post, very nice sound. I was considering a sop post myself but my Eastman needs attention and a couple of new pads before it is properly functional. The sound and tone reminded me of a Christian Forshaw concert I attended in an accoustcally lovely church in Bath. Keep posting!

trimmy

One day i will...
Locality
Liverpool ( Pool of Life )
Just joined the forum recently and found this thread so did a quick take on My Funny Valentine on my Sequoia soprano.

https://soundcloud.com/billbluesnjazz/my-funny-valentine

Bill
Very nice indeed, enjoyed that !
@billbluesnjazz The sound and tone reminded me of a Christian Forshaw concert I attended in an accoustcally lovely church in Bath. Keep posting!
I was going to say it sounds like you're recording in a church

billbluesnjazz

Thanks for the nice comments. I think that the soprano is more of a tone instrument than the other saxophones. I think that is what attracted me to it in the first place.

Bill

Chris

Well Known
Subscriber
Locality
Manchester,England
Just joined the forum recently and found this thread so did a quick take on My Funny Valentine on my Sequoia soprano.

https://soundcloud.com/billbluesnjazz/my-funny-valentine

Bill

Great to see you found the 'sound clip' forum Bill, each month someone new picks the Ballad that everyone is free to have a go at playing and posting there results. I've just finished putting the finishing touches to the song for 'Aprils'' ballad.
Enjoyed your version of this months tune, also liked the tone you get on your sop, very nice:thumb:

Chris..

billbluesnjazz

@Nick - of course all saxophones have the ability to vary tone, but I find that the soprano is closest to a human voice in its expressiveness. Sam Newsome said something similar in one of his blogs about playing soprano. I think that it is because of the register. The soprano soars above other instruments and so does not get lost in the mix the way other instruments can. This means that you can focus on the sound you are producing, rather than on the lines, a la bebop. Just my opinion.. BTW, I loved your alto sound on your take Nick.

Bill

OP
U CAN CALL ME AL

U CAN CALL ME AL

Subscriber
Locality
Undy Monmouthshire U.K.
Only two days left now guy's who will get 'the last post'?

Chris

Well Known
Subscriber
Locality
Manchester,England
As the month draws to an end, just want to say thanks to Alun for being a great
host and for picking a great ballad.:thumb: Also a big thanks to everyone that has
posted a version:thumb:, there has been some really good listening:mrcool

Next months host and ballad have been picked, the tune is a classic jazz ballad as well:mrcool

Cheers folks..

Chris..

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom
test6