SYOS

Mancini

Colin the Bear

Surprisingly not the Pink Panther. I was experimenting with BiaB after calls for something new at the open mic and came up with this arrangement of Charade. Originally a waltz it sits well in 44 at a bebop tempo.

Nothing much happening over here for a while so I thought I'd post a backing track for your edification.

No dots No chords just a backing track to have a play with. It's in Am. Format is one 16 bar chorus of bass and drums which I used as an intro but up to you, then it's 16 bars of ABA 4x

Charade C 16in 4x bebop.WAV - Box

Enjoy

Here's my go

https://soundcloud.com/colin-the-bear%2Fcharade-c-16in-4x-bebop View: https://soundcloud.com/colin-the-bear/charade-c-16in-4x-bebop

OP
Colin the Bear

Colin the Bear

BiaB is a box full of ideas. It's a bit like cooking. Open the fridge, grab some stuff. Chuck it in the mix. Keep adding and taking away till it looks edible. If it won't work, bin it and start again. I'm finding multiples of 21 work for the tempo. This one is 189 bpm. I feel like I'm getting the hang of mixing backing tracks and adding a sax recording.

MikeMorrell

Netherlands
Subscriber
I love listening to you playing sop, @Colin the Bear and this recording is just perfect. I really like the backing (especially the 'driving' bass). Your sax solos fit in perfectly. Your sax sound and 'the mix' as a whole sound great to me.

There's so much I (and others) can learn about solos and improvising from really listening to just this one recording, Colin. It's rich in 'how to make things interesting'. You include variations on timing, tone and dynamics, include slurs and runs now and again and small variations on the melody which keep things interesting and fresh. Your improvisations tell a story and are always anchored in some way to the melody so I never felt lost or confused. Everything you played sounded interesting but also 'just 'right'.

All in all, I found the recording yet another masterful performance that demonstrates what us youngsters (;)) could be working on to improve.

Mike

MikeMorrell

Netherlands
Subscriber
My mistake @Colin the Bear, The high notes fooled me (I only play tenor ;)). But don't sell yourself short: I (and others) can learn a lot from this recording.

Mike
@MikeMorrell You're very kind, but it's still an alto. The variations in melody are due to forgetfulness:rolleyes: but I'm getting better at escapology.

@Jeanette I'm no leader. Can't even get followers on facebook ;)
@MikeMorrell You're very kind, but it's still an alto. The variations in melody are due to forgetfulness:rolleyes: but I'm getting better at escapology.

@Jeanette I'm no leader. Can't even get followers on facebook ;)

Lone Wolf

Sorry Colin, I meant their Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK or Audiophile Edition?

I just looked it up and have know idea what is what, but it's not cheap so I just wanted to know which is the one to buy

Top Bottom