All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Make your own Sax Mouthpiece

BeBopSop

Here are some pics of my home made mouthpiece (soprano) this is a first trial piece,I took a mould off an unbranded piece,and cast it in resin,I had to cut it in two, to mould it, but this is a good time to modify the inner chamber.It needs cleaning up, but I have tested it and it does play!It fits the cork just as good as the original, and the reed table size is bang on (no shrinkage) as I thought there might be.

1st casting 2 piecesEMAIL.jpg casting on corkEMAIL.jpg nearly finished.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Sunray

Well that's neat mate ...

Nice to experiment in that way, what was the hardest part to achieve?

You say it plays, but what's it sound like in comparison to the original piece?

BeBopSop

Well that's neat mate ...

Nice to experiment in that way, what was the hardest part to achieve?

You say it plays, but what's it sound like in comparison to the original piece?
Good question, I havn't fitted the original back together to try, and I have sold my soprano now. So I dont know? It was an exercise to see if I could make one, but havn't pursued it really..

Fraser Jarvis

You can also experiment using Plasticine or play doe to make a baffle, once you get the sound you like you could copy the dimensions on to your next piece.

I recently ordered a metal piece from Sakshama, he uses whats called the lost wax process to cast his, not sure how it works but maybe worth a try?

Maybe you could do a mouthpiece pass-around once your happy with it?

BeBopSop

You can also experiment using Plasticine or play doe to make a baffle, once you get the sound you like you could copy the dimensions on to your next piece.

I recently ordered a metal piece from Sakshama, he uses whats called the lost wax process to cast his, not sure how it works but maybe worth a try?

Maybe you could do a mouthpiece pass-around once your happy with it?
The lost wax process is for casting molten metal,you use a wax master,pour plaster of paris all around it,then melt out the wax, after that pour in the molton metal into the negative shape in the plaster. Casting resin, is easier, you cold cast it (no melting hot matierial) Take a mould from an original mp, make a rubber mould,pour in liquid resin, which then sets hard.Using plasticine to make the baffle is a good idea, once you are happy with the sound you can take a mould off that one for your finished piece.With resin you can colour the finished casting any colour and black, even clear! One problem with this whole prosess, it is not a good idea to put cured resin into your mouth, so I have to find an alternative casting media.

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Supporter
it is not a good idea to put cured resin into your mouth, so I have to find an alternative casting media.
Dental epoxy might be fine.

At PPT inc we have of course researched and found non toxic resin, but for fairly obvious reasons, the formula cannot be disclosed.

Best of luck with your enterprise though!

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom