PPT mouthpieces

major irritants

zootsaxenberger

Locality
kent
Has anybody else come across those royal pains who seem to like nothing better than picking out a song that is not in you repertoire and then spend several minutes humming the damned thing at you interjected with statements like "you must know it" or "go on just give it a go.
And then there's the punter who comes along to listen to you playing with a straight ahead jazz group and asks for "some Status Quo or Led Zep".
there is also my all time number one, that is the music critic for the Beano
who is determined to tell you where your weaknesses lie, either by talking at you for what seems like hours, as you attempt to pack away after the gig or show their rapier like wit by shouting as they exit "you're ****"

I had a young lad (20's ish) and said
"Do you know that tune.....I think it's called Paper Street?"
"Do you mean Baker Street?" says I,
"Yeah, that's it, do you know it?"

I had just played it as my last encore........

I'm usually very polite when someone says, "Do you do Baker Street?", but one day I swear I'll crack and insert the damn baritone where the sun don't shine...

Not quite in the same vein but I must say that we did a gig this last New year and after giving it rice for about two and a half hours including a sax solo that goes on for three minutes of loud, blood-pressure raising modal playing a girl came up to me after the gig and said "nice waistcoat"! Damned with faint praise!!

Martin

I'm usually very polite when someone says, "Do you do Baker Street?", but one day I swear I'll crack and insert the damn baritone where the sun don't shine...

I always tell people that the saxophonist on Baker Street could only play it once so they just copied it and put it in over and over again and he wasn't really that good 'cos it isn't very challenging for a 'real' player. Mind you, having listened to it not very many times (unless I can't avoid it) it does seem very samey right through the song. >:)

Martin

No one ever wants to hear me play so I guess I am rather lucky. As for Baker Street, it ain't that hard except getting the glissandi sounding good. Of course, I'd always claim that it's not written for tenor anyway. Of course you could always just learn the most popular so after Baker Street you'd probably want to add Take 5, Pick up the Pieces, You're Latest Trick, Will You and a couple of Springsteen numbers.

Could be worse, they could be asking for Annie's Song and The Theme to Titanic!

I never replicate original sax solos on any of the bands songs - far too boring - and the comment I remember most was from my "dearly-beloved" ex brother-in-law who, because he could knock out Creams "White Room" on guitar thought he was some sort of musical guru, telling me after a sweaty set of Stones and other R&B standards that I had ruined them because my solos had been too jazzy and I should have been faithful to the originals.......

I never replicate original sax solos on any of the bands songs - far too boring - and the comment I remember most was from my "dearly-beloved" ex brother-in-law who, because he could knock out Creams "White Room" on guitar thought he was some sort of musical guru, telling me after a sweaty set of Stones and other R&B standards that I had ruined them because my solos had been too jazzy and I should have been faithful to the originals.......

Its not only the punters, I once had a singer in a band I was working with, inform me that he had just got an alto and that it was really easy to play, amongst other things I suggested that he go and listen to Charlie Parker, try playing what he played, and then tell me that the sax was easy to play.

Our band have had most of those type of punters.

The one time it worked out quite well was this New Year's eve when a punter leaned over my shoulder and asked whether we knew Madness' "One Step Beyond". He would have been less impressed with what happened next if he'd turned his head and read our set list stuck up beside me which showed that our next song in the set was .......... "One Step Beyond".

Rhys