All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Magic mystery tours, gurus and all that.

navarro

I have just watched an interview conducted by The Marrs Bar and Mr Pete Townsend. Now before I go any further I am not criticizing pop music or indeed any of the skilled musicians who perform within this media. However I find the constant references as to how the idiom was brought about, and really it`s all to do with spirituality and an inner need to express themselves. Mr Pete referring to the rock `opera` Tommy. ( based loosely on the Indian Avatar Meher Baba`s life and work.) Baba `s experiences were transposed by Mr. T. into then modern day (1960s) format .

Avatar Meher was reincarnated by musical incantation in the form Of a speech and visually impaired pin ball wizard aka Tommy (psychosomatic) and the rest of the story is panned to H**l.

Now using this as a general illustration. My argument is, I have never read or heard of a jazz great who has used this criteria in quite the same way.

Okay racial discrimination has been discussed as a push into a form of material awakening and the need to be accepted musically. But surely this is a survival technique and not an MRT of their spiritual mechanics. (Sun Ra excepted.) I can not visualize The Bird waking up one morning and groping for his stash suddenly stopped in mid-grope by an inner voice saying "C`mon Charlie don`t think bebop, think spiritual awakening.)

The jazz musician has his or her own un-proclaimed, call it what you will, spirituality or awareness.
And his or her music abilities are the criteria on which same will be judged.

So please popesteria stop using mysticism and inner awareness as a PR vehicle to disguise your quite handsome bank balances created by, in many cases mediocre music.

I really like pop and to prove it here is an impressive list of my library. (Russ Conway plays a medley of Eurovision Hits.) (Liberace Piano meditations on a tune called Clair by Gilbert O`Sullivan.) and so on. :w00t: Regds N.

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
That Liberace reference heavily affects the credibility of your post....

Liner notes on "A Love Supreme" are a good exception. Many jazz musicians are/were very spiritual, but in general:

1- They didn't try to convert the masses
2- They didn't have enough money to start new sects involving vegetarian restaurants and annoying chanting on the High Street
3- They didn't use spirituality as a marketing mean

I thing that all the rock/pop marketing industry is ready to jump on any wagon that sells, would it be drug abuse, spirituality, religion, save the Amazon Forest, Kabbalah, N*w L**ours, lust, gluttony, moderation and parenthood.

navarro

That Liberace reference heavily affects the credibility of your post....

Liner notes on "A Love Supreme" are a good exception. Many jazz musicians are/were very spiritual, but in general:

1- They didn't try to convert the masses
2- They didn't have enough money to start new sects involving vegetarian restaurants and annoying chanting on the High Street
3- They didn't use spirituality as a marketing mean

I thing that all the rock/pop marketing industry is ready to jump on any wagon that sells, would it be drug abuse, spirituality, religion, save the Amazon Forest, Kabbalah, N*w L**ours, lust, gluttony, moderation and parenthood.
Succinctly put A. almost biblical in parts.

I am going to heat up my vinyl of Mr. L. and use it as a hanging basket. Regds. N.

jonf

Funny thread.:thumb:

I used to play in a rock band. The only spirits I was interested in were the sort that came out of optics.

navarro

Funny thread.:thumb:

I used to play in a rock band. The only spirits I was interested in were the sort that came out of optics.
Hi Jonf far be it for me to lecture you on the evils of optic addiction. Myself I drink straight from the bottle. (I only drink unadulterated .)

Note to my pharmacist: I will be in on Thursday Aaron, usual order I litre of the white stuff and same in blue. (I like a cocktail.) plain wrapper please. :cheers: Regds. N.

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
For some reason, I have stuck in my mind the old joke of the dyslexic Metal band singing demoniac songs...

Saxholder Pro

Members online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom