Magic Bread

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
My kids coined the name, the original German is less exciting - Kassler in bread dough.
Very filling.

1x 750g pack of instant bread mix (brown, sourdough if possible, German Krustenbrot)
1x 600g boneless kassler neck
Cooking oil
3 Dessertspoons chopped parsley

Mix/knead the bread dough according to the packet instructions and allow to rise until until doubled in volume (varies, but allow at least 30 mins).
Brown the kassler in a hot pan, with a little cooking oil while the bread's rising.
Allow kassler to cool.
Roll bread to a rectangle that's just big enough to wrap the bread in, allow for a 2.5cm overlap at the joins. Dough should be about 2cm thick.
Sprinkle Parsley evenly over the dough, avoiding join
Place kassler on bread, flat side up and wrap in the dough, excluding air. Seams should be on top.
Put a piece of baking paper in a shallow baking tray and put the kassler in, seams underneath.
Allow to rise again, then bake uncovered until bread well cooked according to bread instructions. (about 200C for an hour).
Can use a meat thermometer to check it's cooked through.

Carve into 1cm thick slices.
Server with a strong gravy & veggies.
Leftovers good cold, although.

raphaeldetorres

Kassler???

My Father emigrated to Brazil from Germany just as the war ended. He was in rather a hurry and left a lot of stuff behind including his German/Portugese dictionary. He never learnt Portugese and I never learned German - What is Kassler please?
Regards
Raphael

thehunt

Kasseler is either loin or neck of pork which has been injected with brine ( salt water, nitrates, phosphates etc ) normally cooked and lightly smoked. You can get Kasseler either bone in or bone out. I worked as a butcher for five years in Germany in various places which also entails working in manufacturing plants. Although each region has it's own specialities Kasseler is a pretty generic product. But Kev who lives in Munich might have a variation on this. In any case it's yummy
My Father emigrated to Brazil from Germany just as the war ended. He was in rather a hurry and left a lot of stuff behind including his German/Portugese dictionary. He never learnt Portugese and I never learned German - What is Kassler please?
Regards
Raphael

Top Bottom