Mac Tech Support anyone...

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
A tech support request to any of you Mac users. My Wife’s Mac laptop has just suffered partial/intermittent screen failure and.. its become my role to try and get everything off it. It’s running OX10 point…. Er… leopard, I think (10.2 or 10.3)… can anyone point me in the right direction for how to back up a Mac to…. I’m assuming an 8gig Memory stick should do the job (it's not particularly full of stuff)?
My Windows laptop doesn’t work as well as a Mac in the long run but at least I know what to do when it goes wrong!

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Probably the best thing to do is to take the disk out and plug it into another mac as a second disk. You probably won't be able to use a windows machine for it, as far as I know the macs use file systems which windows can't read. May work on a linux machine, if you have access to one of those, but not sure.

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Café Supporter
Probably the best thing to do is to take the disk out and plug it into another mac as a second disk.
If there is another Mac available, then Firewire target is your best friend. (I would have doubts that an 8 GIG stick would be enough, even if you think it is)

Connect the two via a firewire cable and the process varies depending on the OS.

Once in FT mode, one of the macs will see the other as a hard drive on the desktop, and you just drag the files across.

Top Bottom