supportTutorialsCDsPPT mouthpieces

Mac help......... please

half diminished

Well it's not been a good week so far!

Bad back, flu and now massive problems with my iMac! Oh and the spacebar on the keyboard is intermittent - great.

I have a Lacie Two Big drive that won't mount on the iMac properly and neither Lacie nor Apple seem to be able to help. It works with my lappy and my mac mini (same os an all) but shows a 'disk initilisation error' with the iMac. Anyway, that all seems unfixable but the real problem!

I did a back up of the iMac using Clone Carbon Copy and did a rebuild. Now I can't get the back up to run, I've lost many of my apps and most importantly in the short-term, I have lost over 80gb of iTunes. That's £100 worth of downloads I cannot recover and about 30 hours in inputting CDs!!!!!!

Cute Ftp won't accept the license key and a couple of minor programs don't want to work either! HELP.................:confused::shocked::mad:

Just dunno what I did wrong.

rob1969

harddrive

i had same prob with maxtor 300 gb if you dont remove it the right way it wont work the next time you should have icon in corner right click it and remove hardware then try again it should find it

old git

Tremendous Bore
Sympathy.
MacUser recently had an article about persuading OSX to mount on external disks. Didn't work on my G4 Mini.
Macs are great when they are working, even idiots like me can use them but interfacing non Apple gear can be problematical but wouldn't go back to Windows. Aiming to update soon to an Intel Mini but everything, repeat everything will be backed up on a 1TB external disk.
Have you tried any of the 'Genius' at Regent Street?

Chris98

Ian,

I'm not a Mac Expert and so what follows is just my thoughts, anyone undertaking any of the advice, hopefully does so under their own volition and in sound mind, although how sound a mind you can have when your computer is on the blink I don't know but I digress... Where was I, oh yeah, don't blame me if this makes things worse!

As long as you still have your Carbon Copy Clone you should still have all your data including your iTunes Library.

Have you tried some maintenance utilities? Such as YASU

I had a few problems with the old G5 Power Macs that were discovered to be the battery on the motherboard, but I don’t think that’s your problem here.

I presume your Carbon Copy Backup is on a removable drive, so you should be able to access the data on it, it might be a ‘something.sparseimage’ just double clicking it will mount it like an external drive and you can see what’s inside. It might even be boot-able if you chose that option and if so with it plugged in hold down alt/option on the keyboard when turning on and it will display all boot-able drives, select the clone and see if it will boot up.

It could be a hardware fault, memory gone dodgy or something, if you put your original instal disk in you should be able to get it to run the Hardware Test on your system it's in the options menu I think.

It might be more long winded but it might prove to be worth while to (Presuming you have backed everything up) reformat the drive and do a fresh install of the OS and software only pulling your data and itunes library from your Carbon Copy Clone.

I’m just clutching at straws but have you tried your mac Mini keyboard on your iMac, if your keyboard has gone iffy it could be throwing out erroneous signals that’s throwing the system.

I suspect you’ve tried most if not all of the above.

I hope it gets sorted soon,

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:

Linky Lee

I've got an imac, but don't really know too much of the ins and outs of the operating systems. I only recently switched from windows. Still finding it hard to adjust and end up doing most of my uni work in the library using windows.

You don't need to worry about your iTunes though. When you get the imac sorted you can register your account again and re-download everything you've downloaded through that account again, for free.

OP
half diminished

half diminished

I've got an imac, but don't really know too much of the ins and outs of the operating systems. I only recently switched from windows. Still finding it hard to adjust and end up doing most of my uni work in the library using windows.

You don't need to worry about your iTunes though. When you get the imac sorted you can register your account again and re-download everything you've downloaded through that account again, for free.
Don't think that's right about getting it all again - the license agreement clearly states 'one download' and I have set it all up - it asked if I wanted to check for eligible downloads - which I did and there were none!

Just found and am using a great iPod to iTunes copy program - it seems to be working well so we'll see what happens when I sync.

Top Bottom