support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Lucille

Even so, there's plenty of lame jazz solo work and plenty of exciting blues, rock, funk, soloing.
There is yes, but in simplistic terms for someone needing a place to start. Much of the excitement in Blues, Rock etc is down to the delivery. And much of the lameness of any jazz solo might be down to trying to say too much and ending up merely babbling aimlessly.

The way I learned rock and blues was by imitation, I didn't know to count the one or the two. We listened and we played. "Cop and blow" said the bebop guys.

Ok. Slept on it. Stopped thinking about it. Got in the groove and...switched horns. I sometimes forget the alto won't do everything. It's so easy to be dirty on tenor.
Listen to Lucille T&Me.wav by Colin the Bear on #SoundCloud

Thanks for the advice guys.

Last edited:
That's a whole lot better, still not 100%. An easy trick is to always come in hard on the downbeat instead of the off beat. Rock is generally about hard downbeats. Lots of exceptions, but for now it's more about capturing the flavour of the style and gaining fluency.

Where's yours Wade? Did I miss it?
Me? Ha! I've got around 200 downloads from Wikiloops not played/recorded yet, around 70 recorded and not edited yet. My current average at getting tracks back is around 4 months. Those are all originals, and that's where my heart is. I've had to perform standards in the past and its never been my thing, but I do like playing all styles and have even been known to go for heavy metal!

Diversity in playing IMHO is important as it keeps you on your toes and musically flexible. Playing tunes that everybody knows has an inbuilt dampener on creativity. The listener always has the original in their head, so it's not taken at face value, it's at best a cover or doing the "tribute thing". The internet offers us the possibility to play original material with so many talented people. We don't have to play to drunks that want to hear tunes they already know and just want to sing along. Karaoke already killed those jobs anyway.

I'm occasionally OK with listening to people play standards and certainly enjoy hearing new arrangements as there are different degrees and means of creativity. At times I'll say something that's hopefully taken as constructive/helpful. It's hard to know who is interested in having hints and often players just want praise, even though it won't necessarily help them grow.

I've got around 200 downloads from Wikiloops not played/recorded yet, around 70 recorded and not edited yet.

Playing tunes that everybody knows has an inbuilt dampener on creativity.

I'm occasionally OK with listening to people play standards and certainly enjoy hearing new arrangements as there are different degrees and means of creativity.

Surely with all the hours of music you've recorded, there must be an existing rock tune in blues format you've played to demonstrate the principles you've underlined above? Or, could you record one verse to illustrate this rock thing?

Surely with all the hours of music you've recorded, there must be an existing rock tune in blues format you've played to demonstrate the principles you've underlined above? Or, could you record one verse to illustrate this rock thing?

If you're interested you can go look for yourself. There are 300 tracks posted on this site for people to practice various styles that are not covers or standards. Along with each is a demonstration of how one might approach these. None are rehearsed or written out...all are improvisations. There's around 40 listed under the category of rock and pop. There's another 30 or so under soul, R&B & Blues. It's a jumble of various styles as categories are sometimes hard to fit so you'll have to dig through.

Wikiloops Backing Tracks

It's a bit surprising that there seems to be an aggressive attitude behind this "challenge". You're certainly welcome to "nit pick" among those tracks and find ones that you consider not very convincing. Or if you feel in a generous mood find ones you like.

OK, maybe it's mean to send you to a big pile of tracks, so here's a few that probably aren't even in that pile. These are mostly blues (your bag) and may be the sort of thing you want to hear:

This track is embedded with the friendly permission by the creatives on wikiloops.com
View: https://www.wikiloops.com/backingtrack-jam-168210.php

This track is embedded with the friendly permission by the creatives on wikiloops.com
View: https://www.wikiloops.com/backingtrack-jam-164262.php

View: https://www.wikiloops.com/backingtrack-jam-128824.php

Very nice but a bit slow. Innit?
It's about the feel, accents, and style of play. I'd have to search to find something at a faster tempo, but that's not really the point. The style of play in the second track has the hard accents. The third track is almost exactly the same speed as your Lucille (by my calculation 168 BPM), but the feel seems more relaxed due to the different backing. Neither of us are exactly burning through these tracks. IMHO they are good examples that relate to your self judgement...which I agree with!

Altogether it's about playing with the appropriate feel for the music. You've certainly got that feel in your singing.

@Wade Cornell, I want to sincerely apologise to you, and to the whole forum for my lapse of civility. I try to stay positive, but no one is perfect, and we all have lapses where we react too quickly and speak what we think. Your opinions about music are as valid as anyone else's.

This post was meant to be a fun thing, created for our new member @Lucille and a chance for the rock players to strut their stuff. Let's keep it that way. We've also joked around a little, but the main idea is to submit some version of Lucille.

I see downloads of the backing track (not by whom, just that it's being done) and as I said, if you want to use something else, that's fine, it just needs to be in a similar groove and tempo. The melody doesn't have to be played exactly, I never do, but a "rock" solo on the sax is part of the point. This isn't the "rock for the month", but the rock of ages.

Last edited by a moderator:
This post was meant to be a fun thing, created for our new member @Lucille and a chance for the rock players to strut their stuff.
It is a fun. I've been listening to blues, rock & roll, R&B, soul ....... since the mid 60's. And when I started to play the saxophone it was natural to start to play the music listened to. So I really like threads like this. I liten to some jazz as wll. But that is not my music. So I never comment this genre, simply because I don't understand or play jazz.

Back
Top Bottom