All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
PPT Mouthpieces

Lucille

randulo

Living the dream
Subscriber
Listening back, I realize the harmonica is to busy and too loud. I was hoping the soloists would drown it out, or if I added their solos to the track I would remove that noodling. The track was made to vary a little in sound and instrumentation each time through.

Colin the Bear

Y'all are awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Not sure...you heard the lyric? :old:
Judge Judy Do Not Want GIF

Colin the Bear

I tried a version of this a while back wanting to diversify my repertoire a little to get a pub gig. It's just a 12 bar with easy lyrics after all.
Yeah right.
I wasn't satisfied with the backing track or my singing/playing. Just spent a frustrating afternoon having another bash at it. I can't seem to get my saxophone round rock'n'roll phrasing. It's not blues and it's not jazz. Argh! :mad:

Listen to Lucille.wav by Colin the Bear on #SoundCloud

Wade Cornell

I tried a version of this a while back wanting to diversify my repertoire a little to get a pub gig. It's just a 12 bar with easy lyrics after all.
Yeah right.
I wasn't satisfied with the backing track or my singing/playing. Just spent a frustrating afternoon having another bash at it. I can't seem to get my saxophone round rock'n'roll phrasing. It's not blues and it's not jazz. Argh! :mad:

Listen to Lucille.wav by Colin the Bear on #SoundCloud

This is a curiosity for me since you're a good player who seems to be "one with their instrument". You sang this very well with good rock and roll feeling, which means you do understand the feel. It should be a matter of playing as you would sing. I'm wondering whether this is an example of a disconnect where finger memory and patterns are being relied on instead of your singing voice? May be time to do some "re-connection" work to play as you sing?

Colin the Bear

It's horses for courses. I've been playing jazz for so long. Improvising something in a rock'n roll style will need some work. Singing is easier. Follow the words and tell the story. Blues I'm just beginning to get. Better late than never. Maybe I need to get the baritone out. I'm off to practice my one note solos. ;)

Wade Cornell

The usual comment about instrumental musicians (that's not always a compliment) is that they sing exactly like they play. For example Louis Armstrong. The reason is obvious. The way they play is "singing through their instrument", so there is no difference.

Colin the Bear

Can play the "tune". Can play the break. The minute I try a solo I start coming in on the 2 which sounds odd. How to break a swing habit you didn't even know you had. And I need to change the key. Lockdown obsessing. And the Little Richard band make it sound so easy. Argh!

Pete Effamy

Welcome to the club Colin. Few appreciate differences in styles, especially when having played a lot of jazz as you feel like you've got all the notes possible over the harmony, you can just choose to leave some out.

Much harder to find the ones that hit the spot though, and rock n roll is virtually all about the sound and delivery, not so much the notes.

I came to rock n roll after Dixieland, Trad jazz, cool jazz, swing, big band, smooth jazz, funk, bebop, pop etc and found a decent rock n roll solo elusive for a long time - mainly because I had no listening history. Can't beat that. Research..

thomsax

Can play the "tune". Can play the break. The minute I try a solo I start coming in on the 2 which sounds odd. How to break a swing habit you didn't even know you had. And I need to change the key. Lockdown obsessing. And the Little Richard band make it sound so easy. Argh!
Beat 2 and 4 = Rock. Beat 1 and 3 = Jazz ;). The drums are important for the rocksax player. Your tongue is the drumstick and your reed is the snaredrum. Think straights 8ths and forget swing/shuffle.

Lots of versions of "Lucille". Here is a song with the texas guitarist Cal Green called "The Big Push"(1958). The basic groove is like "Lucille"?

View: https://youtu.be/NbH7AkkwBBc

randulo

Living the dream
Subscriber
@randulo Thank you for making the this backing track and making it avilable for me/us. I'm going to give it a try next time I'm going to play.
Let me know if there are any changes to the mix. I think I killed most of the noodling, but in case I didn't or if anything should be louder/softer let me know. I'll do a new mix and add it with a new name (lucille2 or sthing)

Pete Effamy

Beat 2 and 4 = Rock. Beat 1 and 3 = Jazz
No, 1 and 3 isn't jazz either. But I think that is why it is so difficult, because so many elements are the same or similar.
In simplistic terms a jazz solo often has lots of development and exploration. With Rock n roll you won't go too far wrong if you make a bold statement - and keep making it!

Top Bottom