support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Beginner Lower than a Bb?

Halfers

Finger Flapper
A question that popped into my mind while noodling over a song yesterday. There is one part of the song where the vocal melody naturally falls down at the end of a phrase to what would be a low A on the Tenor.

The question is, can an accomplished player lip down a low Bb half a step, or perhaps lower??

The short answer is no, you can't lip down a Bb to A. However you can play it an octave up or ...I seem to remember seeing a player using a traffic cone in the bell to extend the length of the pipe. Or... get a Baritone, or a Bb bass or an Eb contra bass...

A question that popped into my mind while noodling over a song yesterday. There is one part of the song where the vocal melody naturally falls down at the end of a phrase to what would be a low A on the Tenor.

The question is, can an accomplished player lip down a low Bb half a step, or perhaps lower??

Possibly, but in my view it is a waste of time and effort.

the note is not going to sound great, probably not good tuning wise, and will just not happen in a run of notes.

Forget about it, and just play the melody up an octave.

Or, you could buy a baritone, but of course, as we all know , that is a step backwards musically, from the tenor .;)

Edit. Colin....snap (ish)

Gerry might disagree, Mulligan that is and probably Harry Carney, if they weren't dead, perhaps next Halloween ;)

Dexter Gordon also played low A a lot, which is how I found that it was possible. When I play it during practice it sounds solid with excellent intonation. One day I'll be able to throw into a live jam ... just need to perfect my Kama Sutra poses first. ;)

A low A extention is working on a baritone to Bb. You loose the low B ! So maybe an extension is working on a Bb tenor as well. No big money to try.

Low Bb bari w extension
View: https://youtu.be/s2w98oeNd1s

A Bb bass sax that with extension. This guy knows what is doing. He bought a Bb bass that he didn't like and after a new neck and estension it became more a A bass sax. The story about his work is after the song.
View: https://youtu.be/_R43kY-VkEk

The main problem I can see is that those lowest couple of notes tend to sound a bit unpleasant and honking, unless in a context where that is appropriate.

In fact I was taught the when arranging for saxophones in a section to avoid this notes on tenor if possible (fine on baritone though its role underpinning the section in a big band or doubling bass trombone.

You could make a bell extension tube to get a bottom A on a saxophone, but you should make it out of robust material if you do.

There is a bassoon piece (Nielsen Wind Quintet) where the bassoon player has to end on a low A, and the player is supposed to roll up a piece of A4 paper and stick it into the bell of the bassoon. The bassoon part even comes with a suitable piece of paper with a line printed on it showing how far in it should go. The only time I have tried this, the piece of paper fell out just before the last note.

Thanks for the responses guys. I've attached a link to the song I was playing. All just for fun, I'm not performing this, but it's just the first time I've come across a natural limit to the horn on a melody line. You'll see that as it's a downbeat, blue feeling number, the resolution to the lowest note 'fits in' with the feel of the song and going up sort of kills the 'down at heal' nature of the song. You'll hear where it is. Nick Lowe is one of those artists that I've known of, but never really delved into, until relatively recently. This album is a real grower and has been on rotation for a while!

I think some folks are being a little modest here, and a bit slow to come forward

I happen to know that the Cafe Septet have found their own individual way to play a low A on tenor.

check out this clip from their last get together in Cheadle.

The young lady will remain nameless, but I understand she is from Yorkshire, which explains a lot.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wHqUhzZXLWE