support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Flutes etc. Low whistles

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
Locality
brighton by the sea
One for the folkies here. Does anyone know who makes decent low whistles these days? I used to have a lovely Bernard Overton low D which I sold in a moment of skintness. I’ve recently picked up a gig where one would be very handy and the market seems to have moved a bit since I was a more folk orientated chap…… anyone have any experiences of low whistles- what’s good and what to avoid?

I haven’t owned many Low Whistles but after scouring the web, reading reviews, etc … I end up settling on a MK Low D. Superb sound compared to the other six I have and it also look fabulous with its anodized finish. It’s the best sounding, best built and most durable one of my collection. Not badly priced either!

http://mkwhistles.com/mkshop/

I haven’t owned many Low Whistles but after scouring the web, reading reviews, etc … I end up settling on a MK Low D. Superb sound compared to the other six I have and it also look fabulous with its anodized finish. It’s the best sounding, best built and most durable one of my collection. Not badly priced either!

I must be missing something here,£199 for a WHISTLE or is it made of 16kt ?

I must be missing something here,£199 for a WHISTLE or is it made of 16kt ?

:shrug: Seriousl though, there's plenty of nice solid brass, solid silver and so forth whistles out there costs three times that :w00t: In my opinion the MK is well priced for a really nice sounding durable whistle. The others I have are much cheaper and sound pretty much like they look and feel :shocked: I suppose it depends on what you want from a whistle :thumb:

Just seems that there is little you can do to alter the sound in a fipple flute,you have an air jet hitting a knife edge,I suppose you could get it made of gold, and pay £1000's,money and sense comes to mind.

There is no point in having the debate about body materials and tone.ALL the evidence both empirical and scientific shows it is the internal bore alone that produces the tone.

There is no point in having the debate about body materials and tone.ALL the evidence both empirical and scientific shows it is the internal bore alone that produces the tone.

I thought you just said:

Just seems that there is little you can do to alter the sound in a fipple flute,you have an air jet hitting a knife edge

So you agree that a MK could sound better than a cheapy whislte if the internal bore is better. I believe that's what you're saying ;}

As for materials I disagree. I believe material does affect the tone as do others who disagree those that don't. I've not seen a scientific study that wasn't biased from the start :thumb:

Interesting, but what a bleedin' annoying website. Lots of attractive relatively moderate priced options for the Kelpie range. But how many of the options are in stock? Precisely none of them. So it seems that if you want an MK whistle, it's the pro model or nothing. The cheapest D model is two hundred quid.

Jules,
Ever thought of a keyless flute? Two I'd recommend are Tony Dixon of Barnstable, who also does whistles and Doug Tipple of the States who will turn plastic water pipe into a cheap and very usable low D or even low Bb flute. As you've already had low D whistle experience you will be familiar with using "Piper's Grip" and Doug gives you a choice of straight or ergonomic tone hole placing. You'll enjoy bending notes by sliding on and off holes again and the traverso carries more gravitas than the whistle. Played both with a Morris band until going Böhm but miss that easy note bending and cross fingering.

The Howard's Low Whistle looks nice. I noticed from Griff's link that Just Flutes stock both MK and Howards, if you could try them both out I'd been keen to hear your thoughts!

If you have the cash get a Kerry Pro from Phill at Kerry whistles. I have tried the rest and it between these and Overtons l would go for.

Thanks guys.. I'm gobsmacked how many folks here are low whistlers.... long live Davey Spillane!

Be sure t let us know which one you end up with!
Will do.. .got a feeling the gigs promoting this album are gonig to be totally sax free- lots of saw, blues harps, a fair bit of copying cello lines with my bass clarinet... maybe shoehorn a bit of soprano in somewhere & possibly some reverbed up low whistle..... at least I'm gonig to be travelling lighter than usual