All profit supporting   special needs music

Low notes and how to do it

ellinas

ellinas

Locality
Athens, Greece
Here's a different suggestion for breath support issues. ( Including low notes, demanding altissimo )
Until last year i was fat. I hadnt exercised for 20+ years and I was eating without some basic planning and reason.
After 12 months of serious exercise, a balanced diet and being a lot more fit and healthier i find my breathing capabilities and endourance has dramatically improved and affected my tone. I find myself controlling breathing with so much ease comparing to the previous years. My lows are so much easier to control, and those nasty unstable altissimo notes get a much better air stream.
My 6 times per week 1 hour high intensity cardio-hiit schedule believe it or not has made me more able to play longer and easier.
My posture has improved. I feel my tenor is like a feather. And sax playing for an hour or something feels nothing compared to my daily high intesity long distance run...
I know its not the norm for everyone and that its highly possible for someone not fit at all to have a great tone and control throughout the range but this is what worked for me suprisingly well even at my saxophone playing, and I thought I should share it with you mates.

saxyjt

saxyjt

Saxus Circus Maximus
Café Supporter
Locality
France
I have no doubt it helps. Being fit Always does. Some years ago, I played golf and was 27 handicap, but returning from a very healthy vacation in California, where I exercised and played golf, I shot 3 on an 18 holes par 72 course that I had never seen before!

So if it works for golf, why not sax? :p

kevgermany

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
I think I'm going to be lazy and just buy this . Also in Spain, for you mike, here . ;)
Good idea, but make sure it's a strip one, makes it much easier to check regulation of the keys that must close simultaneously.

jeremyjuicewah

jeremyjuicewah

Locality
Costa Blanca Spain
Perfecto, but do you think 30 will be enough?

saxyjt

saxyjt

Saxus Circus Maximus
Café Supporter
Locality
France
Actually, I am only considering this as a mini leak light (or 30 of them :eek:), not as THE main leak light for the simple reason that it would be rather unpractical to replace lots of LR41 batteries... There are 3 per light!

I already made my main "leak stick" (54cm):

Leak light jt1

jeremyjuicewah

jeremyjuicewah

Locality
Costa Blanca Spain
On the fitness thing, I have lost 8kg in the last two months odd, aim is to lose another 10. It does make a big difference. From general carriage to being more perky mentally and of course the great benefit of not having that extra 8 to lug about absolutely everywhere I go and not having people turn away and vomit when I expose my new, lean (heh heh) body on the beach. Haselhof is a fatty, if you ask me.

saxyjt

saxyjt

Saxus Circus Maximus
Café Supporter
Locality
France
Well, I can't really loose much weight (82kg for 185cm) but I could exercise more. But my main trouble is fighting allergies that are causing me some breathing/lungs capacity limitations. I used to snorkel and never had problems, but its quite recently that I developed these allergies that are a real pain on a daily basis. Nevertheless, exercise can only help.

jeremyjuicewah

jeremyjuicewah

Locality
Costa Blanca Spain
I find the same on the tenor, Bb, C, C#, are there, B always wants coaxing or sneaking up on

Re reading some of this in light of something good that has happened. I have been without my Martin Indiana for a year or more as I decided to take it apart, springs and all, clean it and laquer it to stop it being so filthy and spit stained. Of course, springs out, it had to go to the magicians for reassembly. Got it back a couple of days ago.

Now the big deal.

I can play every note on this sax without effort, or honking or delay. The low notes are no more difficult to sound nicely than any other note. Dont know why, I am certain that the tenor I have been using has no leaks, even had it looked at. So, if you try another sax you may be in luck like me. Many times I wondered if I would ever get there. The journey seems to be over.

Now for the altissimo and fluttertongue.

Thanks to everyone who helped.

Dave Mac

Dave Mac

Honest, I'm Trying
Locality
Home is Aberdeen Scotland
I can play every note on this sax without effort, or honking or delay. The low notes are no more difficult to sound nicely than any other note. Dont know why, I am certain that the tenor I have been using has no leaks, even had it looked at. So, if you try another sax you may be in luck like me. Many times I wondered if I would ever get there. The journey seems to be over.

Sound like your tech truly was a magician!! Congrats.

Jeanette

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Locality
Cheshire UK
I've been wondering the same myself, I tried a different sop and found the palm key notes much easier than on mine...

jeremyjuicewah

jeremyjuicewah

Locality
Costa Blanca Spain
For info, I changed things around a bit today. I want a sound that is a little more uncouth than I have been getting with my PPT. We now have Tequila and One Step Beyond in our repertoire. I am waiting on a Hooligan so I thought I would go back to my Jumbo Java that I have been trying to sell for ages. Surprisingly it was great. I think that the year or more that I have been playing the PPT has made it possible for me to play without squeaks, but it makes the kind of noise I want. So I upped my reed from 2 and a quarter legere sig to 2 and a half. After a couple of nights using the new strength I am fine with it and it strengthens up my palm key notes and to my surprise has made it possible to get a really smooth, sub tone wuffling soung on the low notes. I have been chasing this sound since I saw a busker in Valencia using only the low end of the sax and making a beautiful sound.That was where my quest for the low notes began. Not quite finished with it yet, I need to be more accurate with my pinky and smoother on the slides accross, but I am pretty blinking pleased with where I am. Try a different set up now and then, it may surprise you.

jeremyjuicewah

jeremyjuicewah

Locality
Costa Blanca Spain
On the fitness thing, I have lost 8kg in the last two months odd, aim is to lose another 10. It does make a big difference

Yeah, flying pigs. At least I havent put any on. Well, you, know, who´s counting?

Just happened on the above but what I really want to say is that last night we did a really good show. Some real howlers that even the audience will have noticed such as the optional key change in Soul Man that some decided to make and others didn´t, but a great audience and a really fun gig. But it occurred to me while I was being fantastic and all that, that when I couldnt play the low notes I was only playing half the instrument. Bit like a three string guitar only worse. I caught my self using the full range of the thing (no altissimo obviously, I have standards. Anyway, still cant do it) and I realised how much more I enjoy playing and how much more interesting what I play is.

Better than all that, I got in at midnight and slept right through till six. Its been a while.

Have a good weekend
Mike