All profit supporting   special needs music

Beginner Low end tenor

jeremyjuicewah

jeremyjuicewah

Locality
Costa Blanca Spain
Since I dropped my alto I couldnt get lower than C so am not very dextorous with B and Bb. Now I have the tenor and Bmaj would be a usefull scale, as would B min pent. But am I right that the changes B to C# to Eb, and even B to Bb are very unfriendly indeed and the change can only be tongued? I have a huge problem getting anything like a smooth change here. Its like I have just picked the instrument up for the first time. To cap it these are the notes that I find hard to sound on it anyway. Anyone know any cheats for this?
All the best you blowhards
Mike

ArtyLady

ArtyLady

Locality
Essex
Just lots of practice - worked for me.....:thumb:

jeremyjuicewah

jeremyjuicewah

Locality
Costa Blanca Spain
Yep, there probably is only one answer to the same old question, but I live in hope. Ta
Mike

A

Andante cantabile

If you are serious about overcoming this problem, try exercises 1 to 20 on pages 67 to 71 of this

[URL="http://cafesaxophone.com/showthread.php?2372-Saxophone-The-Universal-Method-download&highlight=universal+method[/URL]

Similar material is of course available elsewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
griff136

griff136

Locality
I live in Exmouth Devon.
I would also make sure that its not just you and get the sax checked over take it to your repairer and get a leak light down ther sax tis will quickly let you know if there is a leak.

Three places where even the tiniest of leaks can cause problems ( and they're not the only places either but most common) on the bell notes are:

1. The regulating screws on the arm that protrudes from the pad above the F pad ( this arm generally has 2 screws one for regulating the bis key and the other for keeping the G# closed when you are playing any of the left hand pinky table keys ( Bb/B/C#/G#)

One way to check that this is closing the G# is to play a D and then keeping the fingers down for D , press the G# paddle and see/hear if there is a change in clarity of the note - if there is then the regulating screw needs tightening down - be careful because if you over adjust the regulation screw then it will keep the key above the F slightly open and create a leak.

2. The other place to look is the low Eb/D# key if there's a leak here then not only will the bell notes burble but the Low C will and the D can be stuffy too - you can check this yourself by playing a D or low C and then wedging the low Eb key shut play again to hear if theres a difference in sound.

3. finally there's the Low C - a leak here will afftect C down to B/b - do the same with the Eb key eg wedge it shut with a cork to see if its ok.

Like I said get it checked for leaks by a tech if you can.
all of the above assume that low C# to Low Bb are sealing properly.

jeremyjuicewah

jeremyjuicewah

Locality
Costa Blanca Spain
Hi Beckmesser. The link does not seem to be active but point taken. I had a lesson yesterday and got told to practice. More I think about it EVERYTHING is practice. Not so long ago I was saying the exact same thing about the three levers for the left hand. I think I was feeling sorry for myself when I started this one. It seemed that all week all my saxes were playing hard to play and when that happens you do get close to despair. I have got scales and arpeggios to cover this lot. Thanks anyway.

Thanks for that info Griff. I will make those checks when I get out of work today but I am pretty sure that is me and not the sax. Its just come from Woodwind Exchange and played by a pro it subtones beautifully down to the low Bb. I am new to the tenor and I find not only air flow needs work but the stretch of the fingers, though nothing like beyond me, does cause the occasional slip.
All the best
Mike

jeremyjuicewah

jeremyjuicewah

Locality
Costa Blanca Spain
Yeah, have to say that it does the whole range happily. Its just me.