PPT mouthpieces

Low D# Pad Issue

Pads are made in 0.5mm diameter increments. The thing to watch is pad thickness, most beginners miss this. If you're going to do the work yourself, get a copy of Stephen Howard's Haynes Saxophone Manual before you start. It's worth every penny, and more.
I almost certainly am not going to do it myself. Likely I will have my band teacher look at it first but since it is currently summer vacation for me I will not be able to do that at the moment. Currently my instrument is very playable even in its unstable low register, and for the moment I will continue using it as is until I can get repairs.

I almost certainly am not going to do it myself.

That's a wise decision. Especially if that's your only sax. But from the picture, I would say a full repad is required.

I did some repads on a couple of horns that I do not play very often. A C-Melody and an old French tenor as a training exercises. I have a few more projects lined up, but still on secondary horns. For now. It's not an easy thing to do well. And for the right set of pads, when you're an amateur, you can't always have the right sizes. Measuring and ordering the pads is a hit and miss exercise. Pros stock many sizes around the nominal ones and can find the right match. We can only use what we have! I does the job, but not perfectly.

Here is a link to a soundtest I made of the instrument in its current condition.

Back
Top Bottom