Low C#

Pegwill

Hi Guys

I'm trying to play a low c# on alto. I'm using the fingering for C with the addition of LS2, but it does not seem to work. When I remove my finger from pressing LS2 the note stays the same (C).

I have examined the sax and I can see that by deprssing LS2 it ativates one pad only. Just above LS2 is LS1 a oval shaped key. When I press this it activates the same pad. In effect both LS1 and LS2 appear to control one pad is this correct? There is no variation in sound, am I missing something here.

Many thanks for your help.

Regards

Bill

Nick Cook

I'm going to be no help whatsoever, 'cos my sax and fingering chart is at home. But one of my scales for grade 4 has that low C# in it, so I have been practising it and it does sound different from the low C.

If you haven't heard anything constructive by this evening, I'll post again after trying it!!!

PS. I have a Tenor, but the fingering should be the same!

Nick Wyver

noisy
Subscriber
Your bottom C# key is stuck shut. It's the one just near the bottom of the bow. Just give it a flick to open it, should be ok then. The one you can see opening is the G# key half way up the body of the sax. That also gets stuck from time to time. Any of the left hand little finger keys will open the G# key (if it's a modern sax).

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
P

Pegwill

Thanks Nick

You were exactly right, Ill have to keep an eye on it from now on.

Regards

Bill

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
G# shouldn't open when you finger low C or low C#, but it will if the right hand keys aren't pressed at the same time.

The normally closed keys can all stick, lots of threads about it. Try pulling a bank note through between the pad and tone hole a few times. US dollar bills are reputedly best.

Top Bottom