support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Low b and Bb on a Tenor

chadders

Have been getting used to my tenor over the last couple of months and have been quite happy producing the full range of notes on it when suddenly last night when I tried to play low B or Bb the sound jumps up an octave. Its seems to be consistent on those two notes, however I previously had no problem with theses low notes and could blast them out. Have tried various strength reeds to no avail, nothing improves this. Any ideas what might have caused this

Strange things can happen while the sax is in the case or on the stand. Open and close all the flaps, pads. The ones held shut by a spring can dry funny and leak. Finger a chromatic scale top to bottom. It's good practice any hoo.

Most likely culprit is the G# key, which is linked in to the B and Bb table. Finger a low D while looking at the keys. Operate the G# key, and if it opens a smidge, that's your culprit. Adjust the adjuster with a small screwdriver until it JUST holds it shut. Don't go too far or you'll mess up the right hand key notes. It is just the sort of thing which can go out of adjustment (the other example, on the same adjustment bar is the long mid/top Bb adjuster).

Spot on, guys. Had to wait to a reasonable hour to adjust and test. ( 10 o clock on a Sunday morning is not too early to play the tenor is it? ) I have turned the screw just a small fraction and it cured the problem. - Screw is very, very loose so will put a dot of something on it to hold it firm.

Hurray, I have my missing notes back !!

I really appreciate your help

thanks
Chad

I don't understand "blokes" wearing nail varnish, whatever the color. I guess whatever floats your boat. :D

Another technique to snug up loose bis/G# adjusting screws is to take each screw out, put a short length of dental floss through the hole and reinsert the screw. Once it is adjusted you trim off the extra floss with a craft razor knife. Blue threadlock is another method, but if you use too large an amount it can make the screws very hard to turn.