All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Low A

thehunt

just working on my grade 5 ABRSM jazz tenor and one of the tracks starts with a low A, so below low Bb, is there a false fingering for this note. Or any other means of achieving it?

Thanks Phil

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
There are some horns with a low A, not just baris.... Some MkVis spring to mind :mrcool

But are you sure it's a low A? Doesn't sound right to me, unless you're reading the clarinet part. Or are you in a key with A#, which will be achievable on normal saxes (it's Bb in it's other incarnation.) >:)

Nick Cook

We sometimes get a low A in pieces for the orchestra - we go up an octave!

Which track is that Phil?

thehunt

Kev Kev Kev, Is A# really Bb!! >:) Right back at ya!!. I will however re-check the piece as i have just been off a week with swine flu so maybe had blurred vision.
Nick i can't remember what the track is called, if you had the list of pieces i could tell you. It may well be that they start on an A an octave higher, i'll listen to the CD more attentively.
Phil

thehunt

Hi Kev, at least you made me smile. Don't worry i still have a lot to learn so never take anyone for granted with their knowledge.

I still can' t get my head around melodic and harmonic scales. read the explanation then get so confused with them..
Depends, dunnit. Temper, temper, temperament...

thehunt

Gruß Gott Kev, definitely a low A, i presume the way to play it is an octave higher. The track is called Brazilian Beat, ABRSM grade 5 tenor sax. What is strange is that it is followed ( i dont have the score here ) by a few notes in the lower register so it does sound strange when you start the A an octave higher then drop down. Maybe it needs to be played all an octave higher, but listening to the original track does not sound that way. I start my lessons again in two weeks time, i had two months off due to my ME but should get back to band and lessons soon so i can ask my teacher when i see him. Thanks Phil
So Phil, do tell - was it an A or an A#?

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Curiouser and curiouser.

Hope the ME is under control. One of the things I woudln't wish in anyone.

Young Col

Phil, Kev, I find it very strange as well that at Grade 5, or any ABRSM exam for that matter, you would be expected to go below the standard range of the instrument, which ABRSM themselves (in the theory book anyway) says starts at Bb. I wonder if, when you get to see the piece, the opening pasage has an 8va and suitable marking over it, so show that it is intended to be played an octave higher.

Hope you are keeping on the road to recovery.
Cheers
YC

thehunt

I have solved the problem. I just chose another piece to play. I am not stressing myself over it. I'll hava another look YC and see if there is an 8va. don't think there is though.
Thanks anyway guys. Phil

Young Col

Kev, I found that as well. It does say it is the ABRSM one. Melody starts on G. Just wonder if it's incidental it is in Bb and is intended for tenor.Trouble is I don't play tenor, despite OGs kind offer to loan me his Hanson, but nevertheless I always thought it was written for in treble clef starting on Bb below the stave. There's the ABRSM Eb version on that site as well but it's in F Maj, so assume it is for alto and is quite playable. Would like to know the answer, even if Phil has taken a sensible alternative!
YC

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
There are also clarinet and trumpet in Bb. Part just says Bb, it's not instrument specific and I didn't see a tenor sax version. My guess is that it's intended to be played an octave higher on tenor sax.

thehunt

I know it is the ABRSM, i have the book! I only mentioned tenor as that is what i play, i know it is for Bb instruments. It is grade five you know!!!
I checked again last night, no 8va, definitely low A in there. As i said when i go back to lessons i will ask my teacher i am sure he has the answer. Thanks again.
There are also clarinet and trumpet in Bb. Part just says Bb, it's not instrument specific and I didn't see a tenor sax version. My guess is that it's intended to be played an octave higher on tenor sax.

Young Col

Phil, I think the point is that the sheet music that Kev and I found isn't clear what instrument it is for in Bb - could indeed be for clarinet or a brass family one that has standard range below Bb - flugelhorn ? On the other hand , if it is the same as you have and is intended for tenor sax, it seems strange that even at Grade 5 there is mark to show the head should be played an octave higher. Intrigued still and curious as to the answer.......
YC

Saxholder Pro

Staff online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom